Coronavirus

We need to look at fixing this as a long term solution, a vaccine is just covering up the issue (I'm not anti vaccine). Did anyone see the Attenborough show? Climate change is partly to blame for pandemics spreading. Human life as we know it needs to change to fix this.
We had the chance to do that with the lockdown, we didn't did we.
I also can't see the link between climate change and a virus. There have always been diseases and viruses, over population, lack of running water, adequate sanitation and poverty, there's your spread.
Cholera was dirty water.

I'm no expert but I believe these guys know a little more than me and it's interesting https://www.who.int/globalchange/summary/en/index5.html

Of course I understand what you are saying about vaccines, I'm not against them. Just believe we pour billions of £ into that rather than looking at the underlying causes of these pandemics. Better a fix when thousands are already dead than a prevention to begin with

I also can't see the link between climate change and a virus. There have always been diseases and viruses, over population, lack of running water, adequate sanitation and poverty, there's your spread.
Cholera was dirty water.
If the wealth of your country was the health of those who lived in it things would be really different. Sadly we invented this awful creation called money and it's all been downhill since then. I'm being dramatic of course. There isn't an overnight solution but this is what leaders need to be looking at, humans have dug themselves into a really big hole.

I'm no expert but I believe these guys know a little more than me and it's interesting https://www.who.int/globalchange/summary/en/index5.html

Of course I understand what you are saying about vaccines, I'm not against them. Just believe we pour billions of £ into that rather than looking at the underlying causes of these pandemics. Better a fix when thousands are already dead than a prevention to begin with

Yes, I agree, how about fixing the root rather than the problem once it's erupted !

Cholera was dirty water.

I can see a bit of both really. You're right in that diseases have always been around. Look at London during the plague (nearly typed plaque then lol). If it did originate in China though (this virus I mean) it's not caused by poverty, I reckon it's probably over population and those wet markets they mentioned. Nobody seems to mention those now like they did at the start. There's been that many theories (a lot of which are bull doody).

I can see a bit of both really. You're right in that diseases have always been around. Look at London during the plague (nearly typed plaque then lol). If it did originate in China though (this virus I mean) it's not caused by poverty, I reckon it's probably over population and those wet markets they mentioned. Nobody seems to mention those now like they did at the start. There's been that many theories (a lot of which are bull doody).
No I didn't mean it was caused by poverty, but it will spread in the less affluent parts of the world. More houses closer together, more people per household. Watching a documentary there were six adults in a two bedroom flat. Impossible to distance.
Less access to healthcare.
We have always sent money overseas to help other countries long before the pandemic. It hasn't solved the problem.

Ive not read news either. Just here people say this areas in lock down, that areas now in lockdown. I just heard a bit of news that said from tuesday somewhere else is in lockdown. Well excuse me but todays friday. Why allow another 3 days of movements to spread the virus further. It should be instant decision. We are locking the town down today. I must be missing something.

I have no doubt that in the areas affected this weekend will be rounds of parties and visits which will just make things a hundred times worse. That said they still aren't shutting shops and are still encouraging people to go back to workplaces rather than work from home where possible. The whole thing seems like a farce. It's like the situation where the decide to reintroduce quarantine if you're coming fro another country, surely if the situation merits it then it should change immediately rather than a mad scramble to get back - people know the risk if they choose to travel abroad.

What do people think about the proposal to bring back lockdown restrictions over the whole country? I think it's madness to put them onto areas with very low cases that aren't rising, it's going to cause a lot of local resentment, an even greater loss of confidence in the people running this situation, and unnecessary damage to the economy. Lockdown in areas where there are problems make sense, including stopping people travelling in and out of those areas for work or leisure, but not the country as a whole.

The only issue i can see is if areas arent in lockdown, people will say lets go to there, there not in lockdown so less risk of us picking it up. But if they take it with them i can see those non lockdown areas soon having more cases. At least if all in lockdown its probably restrict travel distances easier. Those that are worried about covid will do as there told, those who are not bothered will travel to non lockdown areas, for the getaways.

I think that sadly whatever restrictions are there will always be those that flout them. What they are saying in Wales is that if you're in an area with stronger restrictions you aren't to leave that area unless you have a good and necessary reason to do so, thus hopefully controlling spread, and if that's done then there should be no need to have a national lockdown to deal with problem areas.

@carthorse shutting down the whole country seems extremely unfair, however looking back to what happened last time, I can only go by what happened in my part of the county.
People with second homes flocked to them, kids not at school/ working from home can be anywhere. So if it's a total lockdown for a few weeks for everyone and keep kids in school- we shouldn't be inundated again. Do I sound pissed off about the sheer volume of people that's turned up here, yes, because they were coming from areas of higher risk back April, May, June and potentially spreading it to us. They are still coming from higher risk areas.
The pm is considering shutting hospitality down, so we don't travel around. Though people will because they did last time.
It will shut business's down, though not directly shops indirectly it will kill them off.

@newforest it's not so much that I think it unfair as unwise. Areas that have a low infection rate that can carry on would give some support to the economy which badly needs help. And I can't help wondering about the effectiveness of a lockdown when schools and offices are being kept open. If you're going to lock down either do it properly or don't bother.

I know of at least two little one man band shops that have closed since covid. Both were elderly so it made sense to retire. I came past another in the local village and see thats also closed. Although not one i used so dont know whether they were elderly or not, but its definitely gone. No doubt there will be lots more little shops closing if this carries on.

Why can't we just print loads of money and give it to those who are losing their businesses etc. Clearly why I'm not in charge of this country but it would fix the economy issues ?

All businesses remain open - shops hairdressers etc, observing 2 metre rule, one way system and masks obligatory. If place of work too small, workers remain working from home. Schools open, universities conducting online lectures wherever possible. Pubs close, with subsidising them a priority. 2 metre rule observed while walking etc outside. Rule of 6 in force, except for Christmas eve, christmas day, and boxing day. Limit on how far you travel, except for work purposes. Severe fines for non adherence to rules. At least the economy might survive, and some measure of keeping control of the virus would be in place. I do believe there's a middle ground between complete lockdown and no measures at all.
A woman from round here was tested positive at the care home she works in. Sent home to isolate, went to the pub, and it has now had to shut down again - he doesn't think he'll survive another shut down. The police are involved, so we'll see whether enough is done to make her regret it. The landlord has barred her for 10 years!

Why can't we just print loads of money and give it to those who are losing their businesses etc. Clearly why I'm not in charge of this country but it would fix the economy issues ?
You won't be the first to think that. But apparently printing more messes things up. Hard to believe it could mess things up me than now though isn't it.

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
@newforest it's not so much that I think it unfair as unwise. Areas that have a low infection rate that can carry on would give some support to the economy which badly needs help. And I can't help wondering about the effectiveness of a lockdown when schools and offices are being kept open. If you're going to lock down either do it properly or don't bother.
We did that initially and without a vaccine you stay locked down. There isn't the money to sustain that and it doesn't stop it, it just slows the inevitable.
Turning off the mains water doesn't fix it without a plumber. When you start to turn the tap, water drips out.

You can go into total lockdown in certain areas again for two weeks, but it won't change what happens when they open up again, we are already there.
Half term and lockdown is a strong possibility though?

Offices here aren't back that's what starting to kill off the high street. I know a business closing after fifteen years, no footfall. Wearing face masks haven't brought people into town to browse, workers bring people into town.

• Sad
Reactions: Kite_Rider
First day of school a parents KNOWINGLY sent a positive kid to school causing multiple others to quareentine and the bloody school system and town etc can't deciede if they will face charges..WTF
thats a NO BRAINER.. yes they need to have significant repercussions.
The kid was positive and they didn't care.
Aside from the risk they put others at they didn't want to be inconvenienced with the kid at home ..how about the countless other parents now with quarrentined kids.
I'm not a big fan of the sue crazy society but I hope one of the families is a lawyer
And gets all the other's together.
This reckless don't give a hoot bad behavior has to stop.

A local college has exploding cases
80 Thursday now 124 yesterday and counting.
They locked school supposedly NO ONE
Allowed out of dorms . Food will be brought in.
And no one allowed out of off campus apartments either food to be brought there too.
How are they going to enforce that past having a cop outside every door..they won't
Be able to.
It's going to explode. They also want all the businesses in the area to all get fully tested.
Its gonna be a big mess.
A nursing home is exploding too w cases started by a staff member.
Its awful for the nursing home people.
The 80 year olds are not the ones bellying up to the bar for a good old time...but they pay the price..

The dopey governor when asked said
Ohhhh we can't cancel HALLOWEEN.
Some smart towns have already.

I doubt responsible parents or homeowners want their kids going to doors or homeowners want
Them at their doors...

I'm lucky its too rural here no one comes.

I bet in more dense areas with stupid ideas
Halloween has to go on that there will be a lot of darkened front walkways with doors that don't get answered.

Reactions: Trewsers

No but, without a vaccine, there will be millions of people worldwide who won't have a chance to ever have a 'normal' life again, I also don't believe that climate change is to blame, nature is to blame for Covid 19 and it's doing what nature does, it evolves and humans are brilliant germ spreaders regardless of travel, all a virus needs is for one host to come into contact with another and away it goes. I watched a doctor a few days ago, some high up chap in the WHO saying the only way to combat this for good is to stop all contact with other human beings, well we all know thats never going to happen, so were stuck with it and the best way out is herd immunity which in all reality would bring the global economy crashing down around our heads, or a vaccine that works, I know which I would prefer.
Im not saying climate change isn't something we should ignore, quite the opposite, but I don't think we can pin Covid 19 onto that.

No but, without a vaccine, there will be millions of people worldwide who won't have a chance to ever have a 'normal' life again, I also don't believe that climate change is to blame, nature is to blame for Covid 19 and it's doing what nature does, it evolves and humans are brilliant germ spreaders regardless of travel, all a virus needs is for one host to come into contact with another and away it goes. I watched a doctor a few days ago, some high up chap in the WHO saying the only way to combat this for good is to stop all contact with other human beings, well we all know thats never going to happen, so were stuck with it and the best way out is herd immunity which in all reality would bring the global economy crashing down around our heads, or a vaccine that works, I know which I would prefer.
Im not saying climate change isn't something we should ignore, quite the opposite, but I don't think we can pin Covid 19 onto that.

I agree we do need a vaccine, but I don’t know if it’s ever going to come. I bet this time next year we are taking about covid 20

All businesses remain open - shops hairdressers etc, observing 2 metre rule, one way system and masks obligatory. If place of work too small, workers remain working from home. Schools open, universities conducting online lectures wherever possible. Pubs close, with subsidising them a priority. 2 metre rule observed while walking etc outside. Rule of 6 in force, except for Christmas eve, christmas day, and boxing day. Limit on how far you travel, except for work purposes. Severe fines for non adherence to rules. At least the economy might survive, and some measure of keeping control of the virus would be in place. I do believe there's a middle ground between complete lockdown and no measures at all.
A woman from round here was tested positive at the care home she works in. Sent home to isolate, went to the pub, and it has now had to shut down again - he doesn't think he'll survive another shut down. The police are involved, so we'll see whether enough is done to make her regret it. The landlord has barred her for 10 years!
You've sort of said what's already in place.
What's missing is our responsibility to ourselves then others. Some people simply don't care and ignore the rules, it really did go bad with the cummings business. To go out knowing you are positive, and people are blaming the young!
As for schools staying you have to self isolate, why, because everyone knows your child is off school because the whole class is! But you as an adult testing positive is pretty non descript. The police still can fine you for non isolating or are people forgetting that they did get given extra powers?
We had the opportunity to do the two metres rule outside in the town. Trust me that's gone. The one way system has also gone, in fact the paint has washed away! There were no pop up cycle lanes or things to restart our town greener. The councils all got given money and I am talking 300,000 for ours!

newrider.com