could it be his back?

Silvia

Aug 2, 2000
Visit site
Recently Muppet seems a bit stiff when I ride him. He takes longer to warm up and does not bend as well as before. Also the canter on the right has become a bit bumpy. There was no change in his exercise routine and I have found nothing to indicate an injury. Could it be his back? The saddle fits well and I had his teeth checked a few weeks ago.
My instructor said to keep working him, but I don't feel happy about it since my guts tell me there is something wrong. Or maybe I'm just being hyper nervous.
Should I call the vet or just wait and see? Is there something I can do to check if his back hurts?
Silvia

hello!

There may well be something a bit up with him, though it is hard to tell where. It might be worth having your saddle checked first, after all that is the cheapest option! If that doesn't sort it, I would have a word with your vet to see if he thinks he can do anything or whether he would recommend a physiotherapist or whatever.

If you feel something is wrong, you know Muppet the best so I would look into it.

HOpefully there is nothing wrong at all, do let us know how you get on.

bye!

Had the vet take a look at Muppet today. He was very lame and obviously in pain. The vet said there was definitely something wrong, but even though we spent two hours with walking him, trotting in circles on soft and hard surfaces and various tests, he had to admit in the end that he has no idea why. Muppet is such a sorry sight - can't lift his head, drags his feet. The vet gave him a shot that didn't help and told me to keep him in for a few days.
I feel so bad for not being able to do anything! Usually I trust my vet - but should I maybe call another one to see if he can help more?
Any tests that I should get done?

I know it's tempting to be loyal to one vet, but you are the paying client, you have the right to a second opinion. If you are that worried go for a second vet's advice. It can, in some cases, be very rewarding.

He sounds as if an equine chiropractor/osteopath may help.
Have you got one a phone call away?

any help

Just a thought i had the same problem recently with my pony lame stiff dragging hinds etc and the 3rd vet who came out to see her said it was her neck [vertebrae] she had a weeks course of finnodyne [very strong anti inflam] and there was definately an improvement although my pony is old at 28yrs arthrtis has set in and i dont expect much more of an improvement in her. maybe muppet has rolled or whilst bombing round the field has twisted his neck. maybe iam barking up the wrong tree but i thought it was worth a mention . Good luck i hope muppet improves soon .

I suggest you have a look at a site on the Internet called Rural Heritage. Beth Valentine (she is a vet who has done research into a muscular disease called EPSM which shows many of the symptoms that you mention)will answer your questions, she has helped me a lot and the difference is very obvious in the condition of my horse. One of the ways to combat EPSM is by changing the diet of the horse, this special diet is high on oil and low on carbohydrates - you will find all details on the Rural Heritage site and many testimonies and questions by people needing help. Even if this was not the cause of your horses problems the diet change can only be for the better - attached is a quote from Dr. Beth to someone whose mare was suffering from symptoms similar to those you mention:

"The unexplained lameness, back soreness, and overall bad attitude of this mare could certainly be linked to muscle pain and dysfunction due to EPSM. Since the veterinarian has been unable to find any other obvious problem, EPSM is even more likely".

I hope this help you and especialy Muppet, this is not some new "fad", it really works. Let me know how you go on.

The addy is: http://www.ruralheritage.com

hello!

This sounds to be very much like what is wrong with Tango at the moment.

She was seriously lame at the fornt and refused to go in any sort of shape apart from working deep. She has some troubles with her neck - as yet the vet and physio don't know what it is exactly and she is going to the veterinary hospital tommorrow for an assessment.

I am not suggestiung for a moment that Muppett has anything like as complicated as Tango, and I really hope that it isn't. I would strongly recommend getting either a second vet's opinion or having the physio out to see him.

I hope everything gets better soon.

bye!

Thanks for your replies. Muppet is the same as yesterday, poor boy!
Sallyanne: I read the rescued horses thread and I did think of what you wrote about Choppers. I only hope Muppet's problem is not so serious.
Thanks for the link, Alexa! The site is very interesting and I'll ask the vet about EPSM, although I rather thimk it's some kind of back or neck problem.
Sarah: wishing Tango and you all the best for tomorrow. Hope they find out what's wrong. Please keep me updated!

A second vet will take a look at Muppet tomorrow. Finding a physio seems a bit more complicated but I'll keep trying.
Wally: Is an osteopath the same as a physiotherapist? And what is the difference to a chiropractic?

The second vet found out that Muppet has two dislocated vertebrae just where the saddle would go and they are putting pressure on his spinal cord. He has recommended a physio, who will come on friday. Muppet has become so bad that we have to feed him from the floor because he can't lift his head up to the trough. Most of the time he has to lean against the wall because his legs are almost collapsing.( Might also be because of the painkillers he gets). I really hope that physio can help - don't know what else to try if he can't

[Edited by Silvia on 18th Oct 2000 at 08:05 PM]

newrider.com