Could this be a sign of a problem

cider

Sep 28, 2005
This weekend my horse has been really nappy and resistant going out the yard. He has been spinning and rearing and really not wanting to go. He did it yesterday going out on his own and again today when he had another horse with him. He was a bit nappy when I first got him, but not to this extent. And the last couple of months he has been really good going out the yard and has not been naughty at all.

Have also noticed recently that he hasn't liked having his back feet picked up to have them picked out. Again he was always okay with this. Am just wondering if the 2 are related at all and if it might be worth getting him checked over. Any thoughts at all?

Mine would do this if I turned right out of my drive. She was fine if I turned left. Turned out it was because there was a big hill to the right and she had a back problem therefore knew that going that way would hurt.

Now, I'm not adverse to giving a horse what for if it is napping for no reason, but as yours had got over this issue coupled with the heaviness in the hind end, I would be wondering if his back is a bit sore.

Could be nothing, but as you note, could be his way of telling you he isn't feeling tip top.

He is my first horse, so I am still learning loads. He is a very sweet boy, very kind and good natured and I just want to make sure that I do my very best for him. I've been reading loads and looking on forums and realise that sometimes they can be trying to tell you things and aren't just being naughty. He is fine once you get him out the yard. I've had him since May. His teeth have been done, and his saddle was properly fitted. How do you go about finding a back person? I live on the Norfolk/Suffolk border if anyone could recommend someone in this area. I've had a bad back myself for the last couple of weeks and know how painful it is!

Maybe worth haveing the saddle shecked aswell as your horse might have changed shape slightly,but i wouldnt ov thought that would have anything to do with the back feet problem,unless the saddle has made him sore if he has changed shape.

How do you go about finding a back person? I live on the Norfolk/Suffolk border if anyone could recommend someone in this area. I've had a bad back myself for the last couple of weeks and know how painful it is!

As far as finding a back person goes, you should maybe start a new thread asking for recommendations in your area.

As far as your own back goes, that could be the answer. It's a bit of a long shot, but if your back has been really painful there is a chance you are using your muscles differently and overcompensating on one side, leading to you being unbalanced in the saddle. I have a dodgy pelvis that makes me sit a bit c88k-eyed and they do say that if the rider isn't "equal" it can cause the horse to have problems too.

I think the right thing to do would be to get a decent back person out first. If s/he can't find anything wrong, then it's time to address it as a schooling issue.

Last edited:
I would say he is trying to tell you somthing.

My boy started napping, spinning, refusing to walk on, it was all down to his saddle not fitting, I took it off and rode him bareback, hes been fine ever since.
This is the only way a horse can try to tell you whats up.

Last edited:
newrider.com