Covid vaccine side effects

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Just out of interest was wondering how everyone else's went? If you got any side effects or not? I know alot of people that had a bad reaction to the first and then nothing to the second.

My first was absolutely fine just a slightly sore arm/ tiredness but nothing I don't normally get with the flu jab.

Had my second Thurs and unwell that night with fever and fainted a couple of times with no warning (I faint quite often so know the pre faint feeling quite well now) but first I knew about this was waking up on the floor. Friday morning I couldn't even move, guess this is the flu like symptoms they talk about.

Grateful that it doesn't last anywhere near as long as the flu and now on the mend as fever had gone this morning and I've resumed eating a little. Will definitely be getting my flu jab when I can as I never want to experience that!

I wasn't as bad after my second as I was after my first, talking to friends it seems quite common to have a different reaction to each dose. After the first dose I could barely use my left arm and hand, it hurt a lot and I had numbness or pins and needles in my hand for days - I literally couldn't hold a cup of tea let alone move it to my mouth. I also felt tearful and shaky for several days. After the second my arm ached a bit and I felt like I had a cold coming but that was all, so nothing a couple of paracetamol and not doing too much didn't fix.

I hope you're ok soon.

Reactions: MrA
After my first I had brief numbness in my shoulder, neck and face and my arm hurt but I was still able to knock fence posts in the next day. My second I felt shocking, fever, ongoing numbness etc. It hit about 12 hours after but only lasted 24-36 hours and I was right as rain again. But a reaction is good, it means your body recognised the vaccine as foreign and your immune system went to work which is exactly what we want.

1st one i had an achy arm which i could barely lift up. It last about 48hrs.

2nd one was only a little ache for about 24hrs.

I felt a bit weird, light headed, strange feeling i cant describe really, about 6hrs after the 1st one. I went to bed for the afternoon and was fine later on. Maybe a bit tired. 2nd one nothing.

We both had pfizer. No reall illness after, though the injection site hurt for a few weeks.
I worry that you woke up on the floor, Ale. that doesnt sound safe if you are living on your own?

But I am very glad you younger people are now getting double vaccinated as well.

But a reaction is good, it means your body recognised the vaccine as foreign and your immune system went to work which is exactly what we want.
Definitely, I just wasn't expecting the reaction to be so much, I wonder why it is for some people and not others 🤔 Being the person who gets all the bugs going I can't imagine my immune system is very strong

After about 48hours I feel completely normal again so all good, was just wondering how everyone else got on as everyone I know has had different reactions.

Reactions: carthorse
I worry that you woke up on the floor, Ale. that doesnt sound safe if you are living on your own?

But I am very glad you younger people are now getting double vaccinated as well.
Was a bit of a shock as it's not listed as a side effect and I had eaten and drunk plenty of water. I don't live on my own, however was the middle of the night so I'm not sure how long I was out for but can't imagine it was long and I didn't injure myself.

I had no reaction other than the usual sore arm. My husband did to the second jab, he felt very woozy (Astra Zaneca). Perhaps your faint was the full on version!

I had Pfizer and no reaction to either jab. OH had Astra Zenica and had more of a reaction - slight headache, tiredness etc - but nothing that a couple of paracetamol couldn't sort out. My youngest son and a friend both had debilitating cluster type migranes for weeks after their second astra zenica jab. No idea if this was related or complete coincidence. My son has had them in the past but my friend never has before.

I was lucky - slight headache and tiredness after 1st Astra zenica, nothing to speak of after the 2nd. My daughter had a horrible headache and exhaustion after her 2nd pfizer. Son had no reaction to either Pfizer. Ale, that was a bit scary - glad you're ok now.

Neither of us had a reaction to AZ.
A work colleague had to take to her bed for four days after the first Pfizer, and was ill again for two days after the second, said it felt just like the flu.

isn’t it funny how we all react differently?

Pfizer. I had the same reaction after both. Slightly sore arm for a couple of days if I lifted arm above head level. Felt a bit yukky the next day but that was it.

I had AZ. No sore arm for either. Felt a bit lethargic for 24 hours after both, but only really in my legs 😂 They just felt heavy, like I was walking through water or deep dry sand. I'd anticipated feeling a bit meh on the basis of what I'd heard from other people so hadn't planned to do much in the day after each. Sorry you felt so rough, Ale.

They do say thay it's better to get some reaction though, that it means your body is building up a better resistance.

AZ here, my Dad, both brothers, youngest daughter and myself all had horrible side effects to the first jab, uncontrollable shivers, high temp, aches, nausea and the mother of all headaches, all I can say is if that’s what the vaccine did I really don’t want to catch Covid.
Second jab we were all fine, yet my eldest who had Phizer felt fine after her first and had the worse migraine of her life (her words) following the second.
As for everyone who says having a reaction means your body is making a good immune response, not strictly true, Mr KR had AZ, no side effects at all, we’ve both been antibody tested and his came back off the scale, mine sadly very low, so nope that doesn’t follow. I guess it’s down to genetics how your own body deals with new vaccines.

newrider.com