Cow pat poop

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
How long do you ignore occasional cow pat poops for?
One of my bigger ones has been doing 1 or 2 a day that are splats, the rest all normally formed and I think one of the little guys is joining in now.
It’s been going on for 2 maybe 3 weeks now, initially I blamed it on feeding everyone psyllium after Hanks colic (9th) but it never stopped when the course finished (16th), and I can’t remember if it was happening before Hanks colic episode (I wouldn’t be too concerned about a 1 off). I opened a bale of different hay on the 10th and I’ve still been feeding it as part of their ration until the day before yesterday (I guess this mornings poo pick will tell if that’s relevant), and I started soaking all hay on the 2nd Jan. They’ve been getting the same haylage since 10th Dec. From inspection yesterday Jess, Niko and Dan have grotty tails.
Last wormed in November and I’ve got FEC pots to fill this weekend. I’ve got a 7 day course of protexin, but only 1 until I can get to the shop.

At the moment the boys seem to be a bit prone to this. For example, if I give them a handful of Agrobs green mash (essentially flaked grass) in their morning feed, one of them will have cow pat poop during the day. Haylage is also a cause. I don't worry as long as it's not every poop.

Reactions: Jessey
I tend to find that one of the donkeys, probably Murphy, does that from time to time, he is quite an anxious sort so not just diet related. None of the others seem to do it.

Reactions: Jessey
I'd assume it's the haylage if 3 are affected? That might worry me less than it being an unknown reason.

Are they fed a pre/pro biotic? If not, I'd be tempted to try that whilst on haylage. Although, having recently heard that pre biotic can also cause hind gut issues, I'd also be tempted to stop if they are on one to see if that makes a difference ...

I'd assume it's the haylage if 3 are affected? That might worry me less than it being an unknown reason.

Are they fed a pre/pro biotic? If not, I'd be tempted to try that whilst on haylage. Although, having recently heard that pre biotic can also cause hind gut issues, I'd also be tempted to stop if they are on one to see if that makes a difference ...
For Jess and the little boys, if they are on haylage full time they certainly have softer poop, but its generally consistently softer but not completely unformed where this is very much unformed. Though I suppose I'm only giving 1 net of haylage out of 8 per day so that might account for it. They're not on biotics at the moment, I'll try some if it continues.

Today there was only 1 splat between the 4 of them, I suspect a big horse but can't be sure as it was very splatty.

newrider.com