Creating a hard standing....

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
We had a new shelter built last winter and the silly ponies tend to stand in front of it!!! They will go in and eat but then reside in front of it meaning last winter in front of the shelter was muddy cause of this. I was thinking of creating a hard standing about 16x12 and want to know if anyone's done this and what you used? Our old shelter was smaller and yet seemed to be actually used more. x

I put wood chip in my corral in the spring and its rotted into a nasty mess already so I am looking to get it removed and replace it with type 1 road planning's (recycled chopped up road surface) as it packs down into a nice stable surface and the grass can still grow through enough that it doesn't look so obvious, plus its cheap, I used it at a previous yard and it worked great. I used an online aggregate calculator to work out the tonnage I would need for the area I want to cover, I'm going for about 4" deep for the most part but will level the area so could be slightly more in some areas so I will order a couple of extra tonnes to account for that.

We used to have a problem with the area outside our shelters. We are moving so not going to bother but if we were staying I'd get the same guy who built our arena to come with the tractor and bucket and scrape and put a layer of hardcore down. I tried wood chip and special Redmire field mats but they always ended up buried and messy.

Reactions: tikkitti
As a new owner of a shelter I shall be watching this thread as I was wondering if my shelter would become muddy in the winter.
Mine are a bit stupid I'm sure:D they go in to eat and stand in front of it to sleep:p:D hence the mud. It hasn't started yet but this time next month it will be yuk!!! x

newrider.com