Cruelty?

Bebe

Aug 15, 2001
S.Yorkshire
But you can school the horse in the middle of the course, test or whatever. It's just that many people choose not to as to do so will usually mean a lower place, score or elimination.

I personally see no reason for using tack that the horse does not need. If nothing else it makes for more cleaning and something else to remember to put on. And if it has to be taken off for flat classes then why bother at all?

Huntergirl, out of curiosity, just why is a martingale part of the uniform? What purpose does it serve if the horse goes equally well without it?

larri

Luso Loopy!
Sep 10, 2001
West Essex / Herts border uk
Portuguese spurs

I have used these before - they look very different to english in that the spur sits around the heel of the boot and just slips on - there is no strap and the spur end points upwards and in towards the horses side.

You cannot use them harshly as they would simply fall off your boot if you push too hard. Due to the positioning and the design you actually touch the horse very lightly almost under the horse. ( difficult to explain)!

Larri

larri

Luso Loopy!
Sep 10, 2001
This business of unnecessary tack - - a lot of people are very sheep like in their habit to follow what seems to be the current horsey fashion!
Take flash nosebands - you can't buy a bridle without one! all they do is clamp a horses mouth shut and if your horse doesn't cross his jaw to evade a contact why put one on?

It's just putting the horse under extra pressure for no reason.

I don't use a nose band at all if hacking or schooling - and have a martingale only if I'm doing cross country as Christa gets very excited and has a tendancy to go round - up periscope fashion!

When you use a gadget all the time without needing to it totally loses its effectiveness - so then to deal with a problem you need to use something harsher and harsher. (as so often happens with bits)

Sorry - rant over!!
Larri

HunterGirl

Jan 29, 2001
Brantford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Martingales

Bebe

I wish I could give you a complete answer.

But I dont know, part I guess is the "fashion" part and the other is they do help slightly.

When a horse goes in a martingale they know when its on and when its off.....

Therefore, they dont make any attempt to raise their head. When its off durring a course they know its not there so they do raise there head and thats one other thing the rider has to work on durring their round.

Now, please everyone dont condem me for using one piece of equipment. I dont use nasty bit or spurs, I dont use a flash a figure 8 or a drop noseband( not that there is anything wrong with them when used properly).
Our horses always go in brush boots when schooling and 1 goes in bell boots.
Remember tht there are more then 1 way to skin a cat.

larri

Luso Loopy!
Sep 10, 2001
Brushing & bell boots are fine - they are protecting the horse - not forcing it to do something!

I use boots without fail when lunging and jumping, it's too easy for a horse - especially a gangly youngster, to knock itself.

Larri

Bebe

Aug 15, 2001
S.Yorkshire
Huntergirl, I'm not going to condemn you for using a martingale. It's your horse and you can put whatever tack on that you like. I can think of worse pieces of tack to use whether you need them or not.

I don't ride with a noseband at all, although for my dressage test I'm going to have to put it back on but it's only a cavesson so won't make much difference.

And Bebe is wearing 1 bell boot at the moment (to protect an almost healed injury, I got fedup of cleaning two when she only needs it on the one foot) and if she's been out of work for a while I'll put brushing boots on too.

Amanda

snuggly_elf

cuillin grazing!
Sep 17, 2001
Visit site
I have to say that although a lot of diferent bits of tack that people use are unnessasary for their horse sometimes a little thing can make a big difference.
I ride a 23 year old 15hh cob called Hamish. He can be strong and likes to avaid the bit. To do this he openes his mouth wide, puts his tounge over the bit and then makes noices like a hot water bottle! Because he is a riding for the disabled horse at the stables that I help at he doesn't have a nose band as he has to wear his head collar under his bridle so he can be lead.
I did a dressage comp on him and found it really dificult when practicing as he would go where I wanted him to go he just wasn't really concentrating. The day before the comp I decided to practice in the tack I'd be riding him in. So I added a drop nose band to his bridle. What a diffrence! He was so calm and obedient and he got that white foam from thwe mouth that they get when they are accepting the bit. It was wonderful. His paces were much lighter and more controlable, our canter circles were spot on, transitions more flowing. He really started to pay attention to what was going on. On the day of the comp he was just as good erning us a 5th place in our first ever dressage comp!:D

Jo jo

Aug 6, 2021
I cannot understand why someone pays top money for a horse, money for trainers, feeds, shoes and saddlery to become top of their sport then damage the very expensive "equipment" (for want of a better analogy) that they use to get them there! It doesn't take much for the best horse to suddely turn and say "B***er it, I've had enough of this" and stop co-operating! They then are labelled difficult or problem and the investment in time and money is wasted!

Isn't it supposed to be a partnership? Torvil and Dean were never seen beating the living daylights out of each other on the ice in a bid to be top!
Did you see Olympics today!! (Modern pentathlon) I think that demonstrates your point precisely . I couldn’t watch and thought it was cruel that the rider kept going as it was obviously distressing the horse