Curses: Fact, fiction or not sure?!

Do you believe in curses or are they a load of cobblers?!

• Yes, sure do, I definitely know they exist

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Not sure - maybe, maybe not?

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Nah, load of tosh!

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Honest folks there is a reason behind this thread. I won't bore you all with the details just yet!
But, do you believe in curses? The most famous I can think of is the Egyptian one - Tut's curse in his pyramid and all that.
I do have a valid reason for asking this one....all will be revealed. I will put the facts before you if I know anybody is interested?

Last edited:
Clash - I'm a bit the same, I'm not sure what I think, but there is sometimes cases that just lend themselves to fully believing. Without giving too many personal details away, I'll try and explain later!

Had to vote maybe, maybe not...this is a strange world we live in and never going to assume I know anything for sure :smile:

Honest folks there is a reason behind this thread. I won't bore you all with the details just yet!
But, do you believe in curses? The most famous I can think of is the Egyptian one - Tut's curse in his pyramid and all that.
I do have a valid reason for asking this one....all will be revealed. I will put the facts before you if I know anybody is interested?

Yes, please do tell all, I'd love to know. I watched the programme about the curse of King tut, and though I don't think just one instance is enough to prove the curse, in this case there did seem to be an awful lot of things that happened, some of which I could not think of a rational explanation for. I thought it was a great programme. I find this sort of thing, like ghosts, absolutely fascinating. There was a great thread about Halloween and ghosts, I think it was the year before last, which had some very spooky stories, and a photo of a ghost (looking thorugh a window?) which sent shivers down my spine. :eek: I'm going to look for it, but it has probably been deleted. :frown:

Ooooh Russet! I remember that thread too! Gosh, that's going back a bit! I love spookiness, but I can sometimes be "auto suggestive". However..........I'll have to be a bit careful, cos you never know who reads these forum's (even though we're subscription).

Here goes;
I am technically happy as is OH atm. We've spent the summer in our lovely new caravan rather than round at the house.
Now then, I don't know but there seems to be rather a lot of coincidences.
Nowty Pants (Rumplestiltskin also known as) moved in a few years afore us. He was a successful "business-man" and drove a posh motor etc etc. His missus was the same. Since moving in though, he's practically a "bag-man" - I don't know the details of what happened to his business, but honestly, the changes are amazing. I have it on good authority too - from outsiders, that this is the case.
Now then, since moving there, OH and myself have suffered enormous losses withour business - several personal traumas including OH's illness, which reared its ugly head. Now, rationally thinking, I could say that he had been harbouring his illness for a few years before moving house, but I don't think so.
I've been plagued with ill-health myself - but, touch wood, since moving into the caravan things have settled more and I'm feeling better and not had to take any more medication (touch wood again).
Joe has NEVER been right since moving there - tbh I feel that the area near the house is "cursed".
I also know - that the person prior to me moving there who owned the whole lot - by that, they were living there alone and owned the whole "estate" as such (it has since been split into parcels) was at one time a success in business - and was happily married. However, this person ended up in a not so good situation - financially - having to sell off a lot of assets (hence the split of the land).
Now - curse or coincidence?
Since OH and I have moved away from that particular area - ie, the actual house (mine is next to the original farm-house) I feel a heck of a lot better, and it isn't just cos we're not seeing Nowty Pants every day either!
Things (touch wood) seem on the up. (Apart from Mr Joe, but hey, that's just Joe!).
So much seems to have "gone wrong" this past five years - even my riding suffered at one point, but since building the arena (again, not close to the houses) things are getting better.
Thoughts? Am I just looking for an answer when there really isn't one? Or is there some sort of curse about the actual building? (It is approx 250 years old). Hmmmmmm.
Locals haven't said anything - but then again, perhaps they don't want "dooming"..............

Crumbs, just realised what an essay I've written!!!!!lol, sorry!

Just another point - the "neutral" neighbour has also suffered financial loss, so much so they had to postpone their retirement. Humph. The curse continues.......

NO, not lucky at all! I only hope that cos we're spending less time in the house atm things will pick up.........and stay on a level.........don't want to end up with more trouble......

Shame really tho - as the house has a friendly feel - not haunted or anything - if it is, then it's a nice spirit. Weird.

Nope curses only work on people that believe they work.

Coincidences happen, and rough patches happen. Don;t let yourself attach importance to something which really has no relevence to other things going on. LOADS of folk are having to re jig their finances ATM. It the economic climate not an area or building.

If you want to do something positive get a glass bottle, put your nail clippings in it, some of your hair and some of those who you want to protect, put in some broken glass, some mirror shards and nails then pee in it seal it up and bury it at the front door.

It's an old counter curse trick that witches used to do. It might make you feel better about the place having something positive to do. Oh, and you also pray to what ever god or entitiy you wnat to as you bury it.

If you want to do something positive get a glass bottle, put your nail clippings in it, some of your hair and some of those who you want to protect, put in some broken glass, some mirror shards and nails then pee in it seal it up and bury it at the front door.

It's an old counter curse trick that witches used to do. It might make you feel better about the place having something positive to do. Oh, and you also pray to what ever god or entitiy you wnat to as you bury it.

Do we want to know why you know stuff like this????

I am a big believer in the power of superstition but I don't believe in curses and I'm not religious.

What I mean is that I believe that if the person who has been cursed believes then they will feel that any slightly negative aspect of their life is because of the curse rather than coincidence or because they have made their own bad luck by being negative.

I'm a firm believer that we make our own luck in life (although fate occurs due to the things we can't change and have no power over) so a glass half full person is going to be more likely to be successful than a glass half empty person.

In short, superstition is damaging but that's because of the effect it has on perception and not because there is an actual power being weilded other than suggestion.

Do we want to know why you know stuff like this????

IN old buildings you occasionally find these "witch bottles" in the walls or burried at the gate or front or back doors. A friend is a wiccan high priest, I made a throwaway comment about someone must have cursed me.......only joking and he explained in great detail what to do to counter it....only In think you have to do it at the right phase of the moon too!....I didn't pay that much attention

newrider.com