Cushings ponies/horses pooh

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
Has anyone who owns a cushings horse/pony noticed that their horses pooh smell different ?

This morning someone posted on the facebook cushings page that they had noticed that a cushings horse had different smelling pooh. Now I had noticed that my two had sour/bitter smelling pooh. it became even more noticeable in Marley as he had normal horse smelling pooh then this past year it changed to the sour/bitter smelling pooh. I never would have linked it to the cushings but lots of owners have now replied to the post on facebook stating that yes they had also noticed the smell.

It could be a new indicator to add to the list of things to look out for??

I don't know - Raf's poo smells different at different times anyway, and all the horses seem to have a different smell to each other. There was one horse (sadly now passed away) who had notably different and awful smelling poo but he didn't have Cushings. As Cushings affects the endocrine system, maybe food passes more or less quickly through the gut than a non-affected horse, causing a different smell? Or maybe it's a side effect of the medication?

I don't know - Raf's poo smells different at different times anyway, and all the horses seem to have a different smell to each other. There was one horse (sadly now passed away) who had notably different and awful smelling poo but he didn't have Cushings. As Cushings affects the endocrine system, maybe food passes more or less quickly through the gut than a non-affected horse, causing a different smell? Or maybe it's a side effect of the medication?

The smell is no different on or off the meds, so I don't think its the meds. It may have nothing to do with the cushings but going by the post on fb it seems that a lot of people have noticed it but also never linked it to the cushings until someone posted about it :confused:

Occasionally Jess gets it, it's definitely not all the time though. I suspect it's when her gut isn't quite right, not sure if it's acidosis or bacterial infection or just general gripey tummy, she doesn't get the squits, it just honks to high heaven. It's always cleared up after a few days without much effort from me. She was diagnosed 5 years ago and I've only noticed it in that time but it could have happened before, it happens both on and off meds with her.

newrider.com