Cut and Swelling to Fore leg

0dd

May 27, 2006
www.freewebs.com
Yesterday morning I was bringing my horse in from the field and noticed he had an approx. 2.5 inch long cut just on the inside of his fore leg, just below the knee if I recall.

I think he'd only done it early that morning though the bleeding had mainly stopped when I found it. He certainly seemed fine in himself, although he was a little "careful" on the leg though not obviously lame or anything. It was also quite obviously swollen in that area only when compared to the other leg.

I cleaned it out with warm salt water, and applied some Vetalintex gel and turned him back out. I did the same last night and he stayed in (also weather was awful, so good really). This morning it looked like it was healing well although there was still quite a bit of swelling, though I think less than yesterday.

My real question isn't about the cut but about the swelling!
Should I be cold hosing it or anything? If it persists til tomorrow I assume I should call the vet out asap? The swelling is only around the cut area, no where else.

Thanks for your help :)

yes, hydrotheropy is always good theropy in this case especially. Stalling will cause more swelling because of the lack of movement/circulation. I would keep it cleaned, medicated and turn him out. It doesn't sound too serious though. Hope it heals quickly

Cold hosing is the best or even if you get and "horse ice pack" wonderful tool to have at your yard - soak it and then it acts as a hose but u dont have to stand there as it fastens to the horse!

Stabling will cause it to swell more - i would but a rug on him (if weather is horrible) but let him stay out!
Hope he is better today:)

Thanks for your replies ^^

Thankfully it looks to be brightening up a bit outside now. *touch wood touch wood*
He would of come in anyway as the ground was getting so wet and I wanted to let his feets dry out. Plus it was about 5 degrees last night!

Cold hosing it is ;)

newrider.com