Cut High Up Inside Back Leg

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Tobes has managed to get a nasty gash high up inside his back leg today. Blood all down the inside of his leg. It had stopped bleeding by the time I got up there tonight.

Tobes is an absolutely dreadful patient. I did my best to get some Manuka Honey on it - has seemed to work better for us than antiseptic creams and he loves the taste and smell of it which makes him less suspicious.

However, I had his back leg waving at me, and when I got a bit on the cut whilst he was having a drink of water, he swung his head around with his ears flat back at me and really did mean it.

He is a real monkey. I have learnt tying him up just leads to resistance and trying to restrain him just makes him fight, so took my chance with him loose in the stable, and tried to explain! Think I have managed to get some on, at one point he banged me away with his head looking evil. Guess it is a massive improvement on a couple of years ago when he would actually have bitten and or kicked me - but he was doing his best to explain 'keep on and you will get it'

He is so septicy, I am very worried about it and no doubt will have to get the vet out Friday if it starts deteriorating.

Horses ..........!

Can you get help from someone by getting them to hold a likit or something similar for him, just to distract him while you clean out his cut? Works for some and not for others though! Also if you get someone to lift up one of his front legs it helps too.

Can you get someone to hold a front leg or can you hold the leg in question up whilst you at least have a good look?

It'll stop him from kicking you and then you'll have a better idea what you're dealing with. Or is this what you mean by restraining him?

Likit might help - holding front leg up would only make him fight and rear!

Good thinking, although I don't have a likit, might be able to get friend to offer treats to distract him in the am.

Can you get someone to hold a front leg or can you hold the leg in question up whilst you at least have a good look?

It'll stop him from kicking you and then you'll have a better idea what you're dealing with. Or is this what you mean by restraining him?

Sadly it is what I mean. Loose in the stable seems to work better for him.

Hmm...tricky.

This is my only way of making Buzz stand if I'm doing something he hates...works a treat for worming :wink:

Good luck!!

Sorry he`s hurt himself :( ... I was going to suggest the same about holding a leg up. but no use if he`ll fight back.

After Coby was gelded he got infected and ended up very sore, so he`s still now very funny about anyone going near his 'manhood' or the inside of his back legs. He`s got a lot better, like your Tobes, with time and patience. But it`s not very helpful for you at the mo when you need to get it treated. Hope it heals with out too much bother.

Oh for goodness sake, did he hear you moaning the other night and decide to add salt to the wound?! Poor poor Tobes, and poor you having to deal with it all.

Whispers *clicker training would help with the grumpiness*

newrider.com