Cute commercial!!

Cute, but sad that they are using a pony with dwarfism instead of a healthy mini Shetland. The BBC will no longer allow docked dogs in their TV programmes, It's about time these poor ponies with dwarfism were stopped from promoting things using the cute factor. Plenty healthy Cute Mini Shetlands out there.

Sorry, as a breeder it's one of my pet hates.

Have to agree with Wally. I've lost count the amount of people saying oh I want one just like that and how do I get one. Only takes some unscrupulous breeder and a price tag to people either uneducated or ignorant.

The poor little tike does look very deformed, in advert terms its a cute on. Hank feels a bit like that sometimes, like when I took him to a show and the big horses were mostly scared of him ;)

Well I know nowt about breeding etc but still a cute ad. Are they deliberately bred like that or just accidentally crossed / produced?

Well I know nowt about breeding etc but still a cute ad. Are they deliberately bred like that or just accidentally crossed / produced?
Any self respecting serious Shetland pony breeder would have that put down at weaning, or if it had severe water on the brain or leg or internal organ deformity, sooner. Some folk don;t realise that the pony has problems and will breed from these poor mites in the hope they will get smaller and smaller ponies and the begging for vets bills and money for the "roll up roll up, come and see the smallest horse in the world" merchants.

If you watch him, and watch a perfectly healthy mini Shetland you will notice his behaviour is subdued. These ponies are often in permanent low grade pain from tendon deformities, water on the brain and internal organ problems. It's time these poor ponies were stopped from being money making machines and cut off the financial gains folk make from them

What Wally said. When we still had the sec As the EDT came out to do their teeth and pointed out cjaw deformity where top teeth didn't line up with bottom teeth. Said it was becoming more common - people breeding for tiny Arab liked profiles were also breeding in this jaw deformity. Same with frame horses - people will insist on breeding frame to frame running the chance of a lethal white foal just on the off chance of getting another frame. :(

I think it's similar with cob's @Wally? I have seen mini cobs standing at just 11.2hh. For what purpose I don't know. You couldnt put a child on top and leave them too it? They are being bred smaller out of 13hh stallions.

Eta, correction Butter Fields Major is only 12.2hh and described as "just like a full up 14.2hh"

Trewsers - in the case of a frame foal you're talking about dead foals - a foal that's got two copies of the frame gene is born with intestinal problems and dies within 72 hours. There are plenty of examples of genetic issues, like HYPP in quarter horses, lavender foal syndrome in Arabs and eye problems in a certain number of silver dapple horses.

People decide what a breed should look like and breed to "improve" it. If you look at Sec A ponies in the old days and then at what they are now you see how things have changed.

I'll shut up now..,..

Someone said to me today "The UK and Ireland are the only places where this reckless breeding of horses just because you fancy your mare having a foal is allowed". I'm not sure I believe that. And I think there's just as much bad breeding goes on even in places where it is highly controlled.

Someone said to me today "The UK and Ireland are the only places where this reckless breeding of horses just because you fancy your mare having a foal is allowed". I'm not sure I believe that. And I think there's just as much bad breeding goes on even in places where it is highly controlled.

The USA has a history of " backyard breeders ". They also breed to their own rules and not the original. An American Shetland is a spindly little creature. A Welsh pony is another which has been fiddled with but not to WPCS. In this country a Welsh can be any colour bar broken. But in the USA the American studbook they are positively breeding for loud coloureds.

newrider.com