Daisy rein on the lunge?

Zayna

May 27, 2008
I have to lunge in a field, greedy guts just wants to guzzle grass and elastic side reins are no deterrant. Has anyone ever used a daisy rein attached to the roller?

I do flick the whip and he stomps off begrudgingly, but I hate doing that.

Flick the whip............that's what it's in your hand for.

It's no good putting items of restraining tack on him when all he needs is a short lesson in 'When I ask, you do'

;)

Last edited:
:)Do you flick once he's stopped? Try to watch for signs that he's going to stop and encourage him forward with a snap of the whip before he gets his head down. Once they get the idea that they can stop, it can sometimes be harder to get them to move or push them on at a decent, consistent pace.

I have a horse which thinks of his belly during lunging sessions too, only he doesn't get back to work grudgingly, he shoots off at an yucky rough trot for a few laps:rolleyes:, so I need to give a smaller pop before he stops to keep him working nicely.
If he's not keeping himself going without making grabs for the grass within a few sessions of consistent correction, I'd have nothing against putting a daisy rein on, but still keeping up with popping the whip the second he makes an attempt to stop for a snack! That way the daisy rein is only there for back up if he thinks he's starving and ignores your signal to get moving.
Another thing is if he has a small forage based feed before work, he might be less inclined to try gobbling grass during work time?
Good luck, hope you sort something out:)

While your horse may or may not be hungry as well, this behaviour is more about what he thinks of what you're asking rather than his belly. He may be doing it because he's worried about what you're asking & nervous grazing is a sort of security measure. He may be doing it for the opposite reason - because he's calmly telling you he can do what he likes. He may be confused & frustrated by your approach & if in doubt thinks eating's the best measure...

While your horse may or may not be hungry as well, this behaviour is more about what he thinks of what you're asking rather than his belly. He may be doing it because he's worried about what you're asking & nervous grazing is a sort of security measure. He may be doing it for the opposite reason - because he's calmly telling you he can do what he likes. He may be confused & frustrated by your approach & if in doubt thinks eating's the best measure...

I can see where you're coming from, but this particular chap is a Highland, and they like their grub. He will fill his face at every opportunity, always has, always will. :rolleyes:

newrider.com