daughter when to pony camp without me

Snowyboy

Jun 6, 2007
Sunny South Wales
:help: sent my 8 year old daughter off to camp for 3 days with her pony to local riding centre

As she can't tack up her pony (saddle is too heavy for her to lift onto his back - she CAN tack up - she can't tack HIM up - and can't reach his head to put on the bridle and he won't stand by a block for her - sigh) she isn't allowed to attend her Pony Club Camp! I was told 2 years ago that until she can tack up on her own she can't attend :cry:

She was going to her riding club camp but due to lack of interest it was cancelled so she was without camp this summer - cue one very upset and disappointed child!

Anyway, went to hunter trials on Sunday and we were told she could attend the venue's camp as she belongs to the riding club that meets there

So off she went Monday morning

Well - my goodness! She is 8 and its her first time at pony camp - and she has the MOST amazing time of her little life!

I can't shut her up and i picked her up 4 hours ago!!!!

I take my hat off the the owner and her helpers/staff - what they have done with these kids is just incredible

They did polocross, jumping, gymkhana, swimming, games, flatwork, bareback riding, bareback jumping - so much in 3 days They did plaiting, mucking out, grooming etc etc etc

They all got certificates and rosettes at the end and despite them being shattered (not sure they went to bed that early LOL) - they were all still smiling

I don't know how to thank the staff but she certainly has had the time of her life - literally!

Just hope they'll let her go next year!

I'm dead envious of your little un. Do you think the'd let a 37 year who missed out on all of that as a child go next time? :angel:

im with JC do they do one for the adults. Id love it.

The rs i go to does the occasional Adult 'own a pony day'. They are a great laugh.

That sounds excellent. Did she know anyone else going? Very brave going on her own. I was a right wuss at that age.:giggle:

Down in Brighton we have a camp called GrassRoots at Plumpton College at the end of this month. It's put on by a few ladies down here for adults. We either camp or stay in student rooms for 3 nights. 2 lessons a day, speakers, wine etc. I was on the waiting list and have now got on! Never rode when I was little so very, very excited!:dance::dance:

We also just had a riding camp at our yard which was great fun too. Why should kids have all the fun!

we ran a camp last weekend at our yard - well I did with hubby - adults could have come if they'd wanted but we ended up with 10 kids

one girl from our yard went, plus a girl from her riding club, then she knows a couple of them just from competing at the venue so she knew about half of them and has made a new best friend from one of the girls she didn't know

I do have some pics which the owner of venue took so I'll photobucket them later on - I love the one of her jumping bareback and then the posed "fallen off" pic - where you can see how high his wither is :redface:

newrider.com