Dawn Rose Cruelty Case

hannafordj@goog

May 27, 2008
did anyone on see on the news the info about the Dawn Rose cruelty case? was on last night, and i know there is links from different sites more details, but i dont know how to put the link up for you.

She had 69 ponies, which have all been removed, 3 of which were destroyed they were so ill, the images on the video are truely shocking so i would advise anyone who looks to only do it if you are feeling strong-im brave and it made me cry.

I personally knew 2 of the ponies that went to this women, and to say i am horrified at the conditions is an understatement, and as usual the sentance suspended, 3 months i think, along with a 10 year ban. how and why do people keep getting away with keeping animals in such appaling conditions, and why is the RSPCA so reluctant to remove these animals. Apparantly she had been given improvement orders,which she obviously ignored, so why were these ponies left in her care for so long, to the point the 3 were unsaveable. why was she allowed to purchase 69 ponies over a relatively short period of time? why dont the societies involved spot check anyone that has more than a reasonable number of ponies registered to them? and why do some (some not all i stress) people continue to sell and breed ponies when they obviously dont really care where they end up? some of the ponies that were sold to her were sold when she first started buying anything she fancied at whatever price, buit some of them she aquired while she had the RSPCA in! why did they let her have more ponies when she couldnt care for the ones she already had!

This country is supposed to be a nation of animal lovers, and it seems to me that more and more and more we are seeing horrifying cases of animal cruelty and neglect, the sancturies and charites are bursting at the seems and at the sales prices are rock bottom, and still people are breeding with the intention of selling on. My theory is that no one should be allowed to breed anything unless they can prove that they have the facitilies and resources to keep the foal, for the rest of its life if needed, and that unless you are breeding for a specific reason or breeding any of the rare breeds,that you should have to have a license to breed from your mare, to try and stop some of the inferior foals who spend there short life going from sale to sale before ending up with the meat man.

Im sorry to rant, and im not having a go at anyone or any stud in particular but i just think its time that things changed. economically the countryside is struggling, and cases like this do nothing to raise a positive profile of anything equestrian related. you dont have to be horsey to see that those ponies were starving where they stood. its time for some drastic changes to be made, and tougher laws imposed on keeping any animal, particularly something as complex as horses and ponies, especially if you plan to breed them, as Dawn Rose did. if we cant guarantee that every horse and pony in the country has a home for life,where they will be cared for in an approriate manner then lets slow down breeding them,until numbers are manageble.

Grrrrrrr, fuming as you can tell:mad:

simple, they cant register the foal unless the mare passes the same sort of criteria as what a stallion has to! i cant think of any perfect solution, and i doubt that one exists, but surely something should be done, and sooner rather than later. there are probably already numerous people out there with improvement orders etc, and this has been done for years, but cruelty cases seem to be more rather than less common now, especially those with a large number of animals involved. No measure is going to stop every case of cruelty or neglect but i think its time something was done, and too many people seem to be breeding ponies in the hope of making some sort of profit. I know how much it costs to look after one pony on DIY livery never mind 69! its time that we were more selective about what we do and dont breed from otherwise all we are doing is weakening the gene pool of the breeds we seem to be mass producing, such as welsh ponies. i would very much doubt that if every stud gave there ponies the time, attention and money they need that at the end of the year, by the time they've sold that years foals, then i doubt they make any profit at all. whats that saying, only a fool breeds ponies for rich men to buy? breed if you must, but be responsible about it. if you cant offer the foal a home for life then dont breed one to end up someone elses problem. simple

I don't know for sure as the RSPCA won't give me the details, understandably, but I think 2 of the ponies I rescued through the RSPCA came from her. Makes me so cross. At least they are in a loving, long term home now. x

What is a "reasonable" number of ponies registerd in one person's name?

Getting a licence for a mare will never happen, dealers (bad ones) don't give **** about things like this.

We should all go over to america, there animals laws seem so much better then ours.

the thing is that even a responsible breeder could sell a horse to a good home, and have it resold a couple of monthes later. ( although i cant for the life of me understand why anyone would want to breed, when there are so many horses out there looking for a good home, especially in this economic climate)... the only thing i think would help is MUCH TOUGHER SENTANCING and a huge shake up as to the handling of reported cases. i saw the news report on this case yesterday, and was struck by the similarity of emaciation that these ponies suffered, to the ones that were rescued yesterday. i think it would be a good idea if every single person who feels strongly about this, wrote to the rspca and voiced thier ***-satisfaction in the way they operate, and also someone should start up a petition at number 10.

I saw this and like the rest of you was disgusted at how anyone can treat horses in this way BUT the Rspca and other bodies intervene ONLY when they are in this state, and then sometimes not enough I know of some horses round here a few months back, no paddock JUST MUD no shelter, skin and bone but hey ho were getting haynets so that was acceptable well by whos standards oh and by the way the paddock well was suitable for a liccle shetty and there was a mare at about 15.2 and a welshie on there:mad:, thats their summer paddock the one they go into for winter well as for stable blocks its a empty building, so must we wait till these poor horses end up looking like Dawn Roses poor horses before anything gets done obviously, the owner gave the inspectors etc the right run around saying she had more than one paddock well she has she has two but both equally as small, no grass and no adequate shelter from the weather no room to run and play, literally try and eat their way out of a gate to get to grass on the verges
WHERE IS THESE HORSES QUALITY OF LIFE atm there is none and does anyone give a hoot NO!!!!!!!!!! makes me so mad they would rather wait till horses are destroyed or past help then intervene and get them out

Last edited:
do the charities have a scheme whereby they go back for weekly checks to monitor the horses progress? why could they not "tag" horses at risk, (as they do offenders) so they couldnt get shifted to another field, and so get "lost" . i know i have heard that they do seem to work with the owners sometimes, but why, in that case, do these cases occur where the situations have been reported, and still deteriorate? surely it would be cheaper for them to do weekly checks, than to end up with the expense that would be involved with the care and vetinary treatment, needed after they finally get it together to act and rescue?

newrider.com