De-spooking and a whinge as I fell off today! (long as usual!)

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
The real reason I wanted to post today was to have a whinge cos I blooming well fell off today so Ill get that over and done with :rolleyes: (although my friend said it looked very impressed - a full on head over heels job).

My friend Linda and her Haflinger Daisy came and rode in our field today which was nice because Ive ridden in theirs a few times so it was nice to come and play :D Rosie thought this was all a bit exciting/worrying (if Im honest Im not sure which! I think a bit worrying to be honest) Anyway she was being quite exuberant :rolleyes: and we were doing some very active trot - thats fine we've been working on a bit more energy but she decides to canter (Linda is trotting behind us) Now I do ask her to canter there sometimes and she very rarely offers it so I tried to go with it but it was a big bouncy canter and I hadnt got my rythym when we got to the corner - the rest is history as they say....... That was fine - took a deep breath, dusted myself off and walked to the trough and hopped back on - rode for another hour maybe and all was fine. It was only when I got off and stopped moving that I started getting stiffer and stiffer and by the time i was cooking tea was needing some paracetamol and a lie down to stretch out! Hubby put some voltarol gel on - am sure it will be fine.

OK whinge over :p Just a small 'go me!' for getting back on and not being scared :D

Anyway.... the question bit. We do the same things over and over again - but she is STILL spooky about it and I dont know what to do!

Moving things/people/traffic on the other side of a hedge is always a problem. There is a hedge at the end of our field where she always spooks so we work at that end of the field every day and stop and look or just ignore it as feels appropriate at the time etc etc.

When out and about at the top of one of the field is a tall hedge and a busy road on the other side. You can hear the traffic and see movement but not make out that it is actually cars. We couldnt walk in hand down there safley not so long ago, but we have done it umpteen times and we have ridden half way along, turned and gone back OK afew times (on our own).

Today we rode one way along it and that was OK - Anyway we were following Daisy and she went along with her left eye to the hedge but as we turned back, she wouldnt have it - was turning and snorting and thinking about going up if I tried to push her forward. We turned, stopped and relaxed, tried again - did this 2/3 times but she would have none of it. I got off and led her past and although I had to get very assertive to keep her out of my space for the first 20 ft she settled and walked well. I hopped back on at the other end and we went elsewhere.

It not dealing with it happening I struggle with - its how do we get over it? Am I just being impatient and if i keep doing stuff and nothing bad happens, she will eventually learn she can trust me when i say its OK? Im just a bit frustrated - we can do loads of weird and wonderful things and I can despook to a static object or something I can control - but how on earth do i despook to something like traffic on the other side of the hedge? We have spent loads of time there - stood in the corner and eaten (LOL Rosie not me!) both in hand and ridden.

The funny thing is, just writing it down makes it clearer. I am thinking I should take a chair and a book and go sit up against the hedge for half an hour til she is bored to tears with the hedge. If I go along a bit the grass is short so wont have to worry about the weight. Ill just hope no one goes past!!! Any other suggestions?

2 years down the line I still cant use the top 10 feet of my school:eek:. I think they can just take a dislike to a place. A hedge is a scary thing - especially when there is so much going on over the other side. You cant get it cut at all can you? If she could see over it she would probably be fine.

Well done for getting back on and riding for another hour - what a change:D. Its not that long since you would have packed up and called it quits. Massive improvement:D

I REALLY need to crack the hedge thing - we are allowed to ride all around the farm and they have worked hard to put in more tracks etc but we always have to keep to the edge of the fields - along the hedge line! I love this as like the wildlife that lives in the hedges plus i now have a freezer full of blackberries :D

The fence at the bottom of our field is scrubby at one edge and brambles at the other - I could cut it myself but no one else will - that might be a mixed blessing as on the other side is a miniature steam train!!!!!! (part of the plant nursery) However, its the very infrequent dog walkers that frighten her! If they came every day Im sure it would be fine but its once in a blue moon. I guess I could make a habit of walking all the way round and coming up that way - am feeling lazy at the thought of it but could do it occasionally?

As for the fence against the traffic - it about 12 ft high - dont think they'll chop it back that much!

Am hoping for a sunny day tomorrow - gonna get my deck chair, book and 22ft line out :D

Well done for getting back on and riding for another hour - what a change:D. Its not that long since you would have packed up and called it quits. Massive improvement:D

Thanks :D LOL its not that long since I wouldnt get on at all, never mind fall and get back on! I have taken to blaming myself and I can live with that - if its not Rosie's fault then its not scarey. It was my fault for not getting my seat right in the first place, not concentrating on her because I was yacking to Linda, I should have noted she was a bit uptight and checked the canter as soon as it started, I should learn to canter properly etc etc. Its all stuff that I can control and fix, so Im OK with it :D

...Am I just being impatient ...

Yes~!
:D
Congrats on not giving up though, glad to see you picked up and gave it another go.

Unfortunately impatience makes you oblivious to the obvious. My secret weapon is my camera - I can't argue with myself when it's right there on video.

Anyhow...
Firstly I think you might be blowing through her limit areas (I don't remember the PNH word at the moment). I'll address that below.

I would be doing a lot more with that 22' rope - don't be lazy! Do the falling leaf, traveling circles, sideways, drive from zone five - make her go first and make that hedge her relaxation spot. Combine them all up and down and all over that place, like one big 'ol dance. She shakes it to the left - you shake it to the right. It really isn't that long of a track for walking, though until you build up to it, it might seem so. ;)

I also get the feeling in your hurry that you are blowing through her boundaries, it's really easy to do when riding with a buddy. Sometimes you've got to stop - and sometimes they don't know they can - at the slightest hint of worry - stop them and let them stand and stare. Over, and over, and over. Sometimes they'll do it 8 or 9 times in 15 feet. Just have patience. Chat with your buddy. Take your time. Some days your horse isn't ready for a trail ride, just like some days you aren't. :p

Glad you are getting out and moving faster, and most of all - having fun!

Damn! Wheres the quick fix when you need one? LOL.

Sometimes i know what I have to do, but i dont want to, so go looking for an alternative but am thinking Im not going to find one this time!

I think I probably am pushing through her thresholds by riding with my friend but its fun and I wanna (flings toys AND dummy out of pram)

I can do what i want in my field but have to be careful with other field as is turf field and we're not allowed to stomp all over it - i think the book and a long line is a good place to start but am sure i will find an excuse not to tomorrow! (makes promise to self to find an hour to do it right even though id rather be riding!)

Thanks peeps for bringing me back to reality!

newrider.com