Debilitating Hip Pain

Debutante

Oct 18, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Many of you may recall a few months ago I had to take some time off from riding due to lower back pain (sciatic pain). X-rays ruled out disc problems or arthritis, and after about 10 visits, a chiropractor was seemingly able to solve the problem. Now, the dodgey back is pretty good but now I’m suddenly experiencing such SEVERE hip pain and ASTOUNDING loss of flexibility in the hip joints that riding has become excruciating (& impossible). My final lesson was so awful it was funny. I was perched up on the poor horse like a demented, hysterical bird, with my instructor squealing "Oh my God, what has happened to you?!!! :eek: :rolleyes:
My docs have said I HAVE TO give up riding for a while, and maybe FOREVER. :eek: But, they can’t offer me any REAL reasons why this has happened – what it is, or what to do about it. My new horse-less existence is miserable and bleak.:(
I’ve tried stretching exercises but so far they haven’t made much difference. Someone suggested it might be a ligament problem but if so, how should it be treated?
Needless to say, I’m looking for solutions, comments, ideas, advice, or wild guesses from anyone who has had a similar experience.

Thanks!
Debutante

p.s. Because I'm an optimist, I'm STILL looking for my 'perfect' Canadian horse....or maybe I'm just mad. :D

I'm afraid I can't help about the hips....

If you do end up having to give up riding:( :( why not try driving instead? I know a lot of riders aren't that interested initially but it can offer all that riding does, you can just 'hack' = 'pleasure driving', you can show = 'private driving', you can event = 'driving trials', you can do dressage etc etc etc. Once you get going it is just as addictive as riding. In fact, although I enjoy riding I still prefer driving - there is nothing like the adrenaline rush of driving trials....:D Plus you can have more than one horse...I drive single, pair, tandem, unicorn (three) and am moving up to a team of four when I get my youngster going.

I hope you can get it sorted out....

Have been through a similar (though not as severe!) set of problems.

1. Sciatica - had this so bad that I nearly crashed my car whilst driving! Like being plugged into the mains on one side. Turned out to be a cows-milk intolerance. I switched to goats milk and it went after three days, never to return (touch wood)

2. Hip pain - suffered pain after riding for 40 minutes +, had to get off and walk then could ride for a bit more. Turned out to be a torn cartledge in my knee (apparently hip and knee pain are very difficult to tell whats causing it). I had my knee done and no pain!

I have had good reports of Bowen Technique, though not tried it myself.

Don't give up - keep trying to find out what the problem is. Worst case - have a new set of hip joints!

All the best for a speedy recovery

Ken

My hip bursitus was extremely painful and makes me kind of "perch" (shorter stirrups help me, as do deeper seats). Stretching my hips & strengthening my back (physical therapy) has made it almost vanish...but it took months.

I did have a lot of warning it was coming on, though; funny tingly sensations in my leg running down from my hip, and occasional weakness before it really got painful. [wish my doctor had listened to me BEFORE it got really painful...grr]

Hello,
Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions.

Ashescott, your episode of sciatica sounds awful – much worse than mine. Glad to hear it’s gone. I have not heard of the Bowen Technique but will certainly investigate it.

Galadriel, your symptoms of tingly legs etc. sound frightfully similar to mine. If you don’t mind me asking, what did the hip and back strengthening physical therapy actually involve? If you can spare the time I’d love to hear all the details.

Artemis, Yes! The horses I had been riding right around the time of my hip meltdown were quite broad. One was a pudgy Pinto and the other a big, round Welsh Cob. Both of them gave me that oh-my-goodness-ouch feeling when I first mounted, :eek: but I was hoping I’d get used to it, and believed that ultimately, I’d be more flexible as a result. (Bad idea) :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone,

Cheers,
Debutante

tingly legs

Oh my!

At physical therapy they first evaluated what I could do, my flexibility, and what made me hurt. From there they first gave me exercises to stretch my hips. The bursitus, inflammation of the bursae around the hip joint (I have it in both hips actually), they said was a combination of things; one was that the ligaments & tendons around the bursae were too tight against the bursa, and so moving/rubbing tendongs & ligamanets across the bursae, were aggravating and reinforcing the inflammation. I was given three or four stretches for my hips.

They also gave me ionic cortisone treatment. I can NOT remember what it is called (sounded like "ionto" or similar?)... Direct inflammation reduction. I also got a couple of heat/ultrasound treatments. They recommended that I ice my hips every evening. (I tried... I hate icing myself anywhere.)

In combination with reducing the symptoms, they also had me doing several back exercises to strengthen my back & take a lot of the strain off my hips, so that the bursitus wouldn't come back once it was gone.

I've got a couple of the exercises here:
http://www.galadriel.shaftnet.org/physics_of_the_horse/back_exercises.html

But I do suggest you get physical therapy. If it is bursitus, the stretches & exercises alone probably won't bring the inflammation down enough to go away...

Hey, good luck. I hope you can get it to go away. By the way, if you read the description of the Seatbone Saver, it says that Heather designed it because tring to ride properly in improper saddles gave her..."bursal enlargements of the seatbones." I'm asking for one for my birthday (today actually), and I'm also encouraged--maybe I was trying to ride properly in badly designed saddles ;)

Debutante (and how many times do I have to say this) the answer to your problems may well be a good old-fashioned English side-saddle (ie not a western side-saddle). Take it from one who knows. I can't ride astride for more than about 20 minutes due to arthritis in my spine and hips but side saddle has revolutionised my life. I can ride comfortably again - in fact last year the wonder horse and I did a 14 mile fund-raising ride for a cystic fibrosis charity. A good teacher is essential but Janet McDonald's books "Riding Side-saddle" and "Teaching Side-saddle" are a great help. And no - it isn't uncomfortable, unbalanced or dangerous, in fact, if you have a disability, it can be safer than riding astride. Check out the links on the right of this screen

The pain you have sounds a bit like what i have, I have a sharp pain that starts at my hip and gets worst the longer i leave it in the same position, normally moving my legs closer together helps. It took many year to convince my doctor that what i have is not growing pains, now finally at the age of 22 my doctor belives me, we did a few x-rays and found out the my mussles both in the hip areas and knees have grown into the joins i.e. on my knees the mussle is under the knee cap instead of alongside it, same on the hip joins there is a huge tecnial name for it but i can't ever remember it we just shorten it to FHD. I'll ask him the write it down the next time i see him.

Currently im doing exercise to strengthen the mussles so it dosn't hurt as much.

Hope you don't have to give up riding.

Belinda

hmm cant help wti hthe hip thing but i would also try narrower horses...i get back ache from riding broad horses.

as an alternative to normal riding you could always try side saddle :) that way you dont have to open up you hips so much

hope you get better though

Hello Everyone,

Once again, thank you all for your suggestions and feedback. :)

Galadriel, thanks for the exercise tips – exercise #2 reminds me of swimming which I like, as it seems to loosen everything up with minimal strain on any particular part.
Sidesaddlelady, I must admit that riding aside is not something that had never crossed my mind, but you’re right, it definitely would be better for the hip flexors. I would just need some time to get used to the whole idea. I might not be nearly elegant enough to do justice to those lovely long dresses and coats. ;) If I could find an instructor I'd be willing to give it a go -- it would be quite a novelty around here. Congrats on your cystic fibrosis ride – that must have been a lot of fun for you AND the Wonder Horse! :p
Bel, might your condition be Familial Hypomobility Disorder? I remember studying something in school that sounded similar (many years ago) . I’m glad to hear your doc has given you some exercises that seem to be helping! Good luck!

I’m going to see another doc this afternoon about this – strangely enough an Acupuncturist! :rolleyes: I know, I’m not usually a fan of *alternative therapies* but hey, I’ve run out of options. Besides, I’ve seen some great results with acupuncture on ligament injuries... (despite me being a skeptic). Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Debutante

Hi Debutante - good luck with your acupuncture - my horse
just had some treatments for a minor back injury (along with poison ivy extract and some other herbs I can't pronounce or spell) and he is now fine after only two weeks (he had a massage on Saturday morning and the massage therapist said he has no signs of back soreness at all). I am lucky enough to have a fantastic barn owner who knows all about these alternative treatments and I am certainly a believer after seeing what she has been able to do.

Have you tried Alexander sessions? I had a lot of pain following a very bad auto accident six years ago (my leg and knee were basically crushed and I had a lot of reconstructive surgery) and it was recommended to me. Basically, a lot of body pain is caused by a lack of straightness - once they assess you, and give you exercises to help, you improve very quickly. The plus side is that it is also fabulous for riding, my very picky teacher thinks that I have an okay seat and I am sure it is because of Alexander and Pilates.

Are you still looking for your Canadien? I hope you don't change your mind because of their big wide backs!

Don't worry about having to find one that is well-trained, either. Mine came with no saddle training at all (didn't know how to back up), spent a year at a western barn, and is now happily doing dressage at his new barn. As long as you have a good teacher, they should be able to help you bring him along - Canadiens are so smart and forward and have an amazing work ethic.

Hip pain!

Debutante,

This is one of the best things about New Rider, realizing that I am not alone! I've been experiencing the same hip pain for a few months, and it is getting progressively worse each week. If I sit in one position for too long I feel like an old granny being hoisted out of her rocking chair when I stand up. I saw a masotherapist for the first time last week. She also happens to be an instructor, not mine, at the riding school I attend. Susan not only knows riding, but the actual horses I must ride during lessons. I'll keep you posted on how this treatment works out. As far as streching exercises go, I've been practicing yoga for almost eight years and consider myself fairly flexible. So this hip pain has really come as a surprise to me. Reading everyone's replies and advice gives me hope that this will clear up.

Marcia

Hi! I can see where you are coming from. I have flare ups of a type of arthritis that accompanies the colitis I have and it comes and goes and fortunately it doesn't leave any damage.

It comes into my hips usually one at a time and lasts about three days. It is very frustrating because I never know when it will happen and it definitely makes it impossible for me to ride. The only way I don't have pain is to lie on my back completely still on the bed. I hope you are able to recover from this hip problem soon. There are so many things that can affect the human body and the Drs seem to be just guessing most of the time and treat with "trial & error" medications. It might be be some sort of viral/bacterial nerve inflammation that will burn out eventually. Have the doctors prescribed any antibiotics for this? I have heard that MSM is good also. Marge

When I started having hip pain last year, my mother-in-law recommended glucosamine/chondroitin; it had apparently done wonders for her tendonitis. It didn't help with my developing bursitus :( sadly--but it does seem to be helping my horses!

Arthritis and side saddle

Debutante - sorry, I've only just caught up with your mail. I can't find any reference to side saddle associations in Canada but there are various in the US. Suggest you "Google" (or whatever search engine you use) Side saddle - America - Canada or some such. And don't worry about the riding habit - I've been riding aside for years and still haven't splashed out on one. Most horses take to s/s like ducks to water so that's not a problem, either.

Side saddle in Canada

Sorry, Debutante. Just realised I'd turned over two pages together in the Handbook. The contact for side saddle in Canada is Deborah Smith, email rydaside@connections.com. I also have her address and phone number if you want it. Try her - side saddle ladies are very friendly.

hip pain

Hello Debutante

OK, I've been here for 5 years with bursitis of the hip. In short, I had steriod shots in my hips twice. First time worked wonders, second was not so good. Then went to physio and had acupuncture and it helped but then was given a wedge to put in my shoe (at the heel) as the difference in my leg length was over a inch between my left and right leg. This again helped but again not the permanent solution I was hoping for.

It was explained to me that because of an old injury in my lower back (crushed vertebrae) my whole body alignment was crooked, and putting extra strain on my left hip causing bursitis.

I have since been doing yoga and pilates both are good for elevating the pain but it never goes away completely in my experience. The hip pain goes in cycles for me and at it's worse can radiate down to my knees. Best solution is when my husband pulls my left leg literally out of its socket!! The ice pack kind of works but not a great fan of it.

BUT be careful chronic hip bursitis is not good, it builds up scar tissue and can lead to more hip restriction etc. My advise is to listen to your body when it hurts take it easy.

Hope this helps

Emma

PS. I am orginially from the UK but I am living on Vancouver Island for a year and horse riding at every available moment

I have arthritis in my hands, arms, legs, probablyhips but I'm trying to ignore it. I still manage to ride but it's getting uncomfortable for my knees. However, have you tried the Alexander Technique? I'm gonna try this soon as it's recommended. Will keep ya posted.

newrider.com