Decided against the dressage comp

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
I was all determined to go this sunday to the last one in the winter league cos had been working hard since previous comp on our canter issue and was pleased with the progress.

Until the last few weeks with the wind I have hardly got to ride between work, xmas and the sodding gales and lashing rain then heavy frost :banghead:

So having managed one short hack in 2 weeks I decided against the comp on sunday knowing how fresh she is and knowing there is no point in going to the hassle of up early, plaiting and boxing there to be pinged around the warm up when ponies zoom past sending her into orbit.

I also thought the weather is to be nice today and tomorrow before the winds hit again and it would be nice to ride at home in the daylight with my other half with no pressure :smile:

I just want to ride and relax and enjoy my horses for first time in weeks if that makes sense.....

I am glad now I made the decision as today rode in the arena on our own ona nice but fresh cold morning and she was a tad fresh and very marish but not bad considering bless her :biggrin:

She was very huffy puffy at some branches blown around and a jump wing blown over which she spun and humped me in opposite direction losing my stirrups :giggle:

She had a few wee spooks and bounces with head tossing but we went through all her paces once warmed up and she wasnt too bad apart from bucking a few times and when being daft and I said "I will smack you" but didnt touch her she bucked a little protesting one making us roar like she knew what I had said but obviously it is how I moved like going to tap her and she did a ninja :ninja:

Then we hacked along golf course track to cool off and she was on her toes at the caddies and golfers but didnt react even when one golfer thought it would be funny to swing his club at her passing :angel: so I glared at him witheringly :banghead:

I know she wouldve not been ready for tomorrow :redface:

I think it is always good to not push too far and then it go wrong.

I have managed to ride most days, lost a few due to the weather and other commitments, today we just did a 2 hour route march, all at walk, in the bitter cold, but it was wonderfully relaxing. The big boy was a joy and I just enjoyed looking at the hills, the views, even though it was very windy in places and very cold.

I have had to go a couple of steps back with Suze as well, she just was losing her confidence and getting a bit lost, so best to wait for another day.

newrider.com