Desensitising - funniest things you have used

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Well by accident Fleurette the foally is now desensitised to a blood pressure monitor!

I have to wear one of these ruddy things all day to check my bp and it went off when I was trying to clean her cut shoulder and put cream on.

So it began to inflate and make noises and then deflate, she was very curious about it but being a good foal concentrated on standing still and being treated for her injuries!

Must stop calling her a foal given I now have to raise my arm to it over her withers now.....

Ha ha we would have to work hard to get weirder than that!!!! We do lots of this kind of stuff so it doesnt seem really 'weird' to me although I did utilise some kids inflatable armbands as a touch it object which I guess was pretty random!

I would have to think, we had a bonfire yesterday by the field entrance. That was busy cracking and waving at us. One of those no your NOT sniffing it! Trust me on this one, leave it.

One of these-not weird but it lives next door.

http://db.tt/BzaVTOnc

Last edited:
A yellow extension cable, a blue extension cable, and an x ray machine, in the field today.

I am very glad I taught Ziggy "Touch it" - it works wonders when he is bothered by something.

Nothing as whacky as that!!!

A Mr Muscle empty bottle which I spent an hour spraying (filled with water) because Tobes used to have an eppy fit about sprays, and a bag filled with all sorts of containers which I tied a lunge line around and dragged it behind him up and down the village to desensitise him to stuff behind him.

So just ordinary!!

Nothing as weird, but unusually Scully was apoplectic about an upside down wheelbarrow on the bonfire pile the other day and there was no way she was going near it!

Over the years Mr Joe got used to a number of odd things - x ray equipment, scanning equipment all of that kind of thing didn't faze him. He was very curious and loved anything new. Storm on the other hand... She hides at the back of her box the moment anybody arrives on the yard carrying anything suspicious! Tea towels don't bother her or baseball hats. And she doesn't mind my lion foot warmer.

Joy used to need sedating to be clipped at her old home.

I took my electric toothbrush down the yard in the first stages of working on clipper training. Alternative buzzy things would also have worked on my quiet yard!

Newforest - How did you manage the bonfire?
Last year men were burning a lot of times (old stables demolished) near where I ride and share horse was always terrified. Her owner told me all horses feared fire and not to force her past.
Finally on the last day as I turned back instead of passing she decided the fire was too dangerous even at that distance and belted for home without warning.
I wish now I had led her close to have a look, but at the time was told the fear of fire was inborn and nothing I could do.

newrider.com