Desensitising to grooming and touch

Marusenka

Aug 10, 2006
My cob is always really sensitive in the summer- he doesn't get sweet itch and doesn't really rub and always has a fly rug and mask on as otherwise the flies eat him terribly.
He just becomes very sensitive to touch- if i groom him or run my hands over him he constantly swishes his tail when i touch his chest, shoulders, lower neck and withers. He is absolutely fine everywhere else and in general i can do anything to him- lotions and potions, wash him all over etc. He does at times attempt to nip when i touch these areas but he gets told off for that so usually he just puts up with it and swishes his tail about!
I don't groom him excessively in these areas and i have tried other brushes but not found any he will tolerate!
Any ideas why and how i can desensitise him to it!
He is fed on Fibergy chaff, calm and condition and winter glow summer shine supplement- are there any feedstuffs that make them more sensitive or anything else i can give him to help with it?
It's manageable and he puts up with it but i would like him to be ok with grooming rather than just having to put up with it whether he likes it or not!

newrider.com