Desperate need of support/ freezemarking

Cazie

Feb 18, 2008
south
Oh dear.. I feel sick.. I have butterflies and I'm nervous now..

I am having my horse freezemarked on Sunday and I am wondering if this is the right thing to do.. I'm not sure I want to be there but I know I will have to, he will play up and will have to be twitched.. he's going to be in pain :-(

I've never seen this done and imagining all sorts of horrible pictures in my head..

I know I am going to see him distressed and looking to me for help and yet I can't do a thing about it.

I know I am being a bit fluffy about this but it really is making feel so bad...:confused:

Having Bebe freezemarked was a total non-event. She disliked the alcohol rub that was used to wipe the clipped area, probably because it was cold, but complete ignored the freezemarking itself. I just gave her a bucket of feed and she stood like a lamb.

Friends horse was done at the same time and she had some ACP tablets beforehand as she was known to be a bit difficult. Even so the worst she did was walk around the stable whilst the markers were being applied. She had a habit of rearing vertically at anything that she objected to, hence the ACP as a precaution but she was fine.

Both horses healed well in the space of a week or so and Bebe's freezemark is still 100% legible 8yrs later.

freeezemarking

I understand how you feel, i got my pony freezemarked last summer and I was really panicing about what it was going to be like, and like you seem to had heard plenty of horror stories. However, this is how it went.....
Freeze mark guy turns up, pony doesnt even look remotely interested in whats going on until guy produces his branding thingy, (its kinda "smokey" as its so cold), pony has a little shy away from him, so i produce a bucket of food.
Ponys head goes into bucket of food, munches away, doesnt even raise his head when the guy brands him....and after all my panicing!! Honestly, I am not kidding you!!!!
I have heard a few horror stories,but none first hand, all my friends horses seem to have been okay getting it done. Who is doing it for you? I got farmkey to do mine, the guy who came was very proffessional!

Had Midas done last year and he was so good - even though he normally plays up with anything unusual!!

He was mostly unhappy about the clipping! My old horse I actually clipped the area beforehand as he hated clippers and saved the stress.

As someone else has put it really is a non event takes all of a few minutes - the paperwork takes longer!

Have lots of treats in your pocket or perhaps a bucket of feed.

We had three done all on the same day and all behaved well.

I hate to stick a spanner in the works, but my normally well behaved horse, who doesn't normally bat an eyelid AT ANYTHING went totally beserk, so much, so that when it didn't come out properly, I didn't have it re-done as I didn't want to upset him again.

Due to this experience, I haven't had Lexi freezemarked - she's been chipped instead.

I'm having the company Freezemark out.. have chosen a suitable mark for his personality :)

Thanks for the replies.. I know I have to do this..

Just keep remembering that you are doing it to keep him safe and secure in the future. Freezemarking is vital and it's great that you are having it done.

newrider.com