desperate to solve saddle slip

em23

Sep 11, 2004
north yorkshire moors
Visit site
Earlier this year I posted a cry for help with saddle slipping forward. We live in a very steep and difficult area with awful dangerous bridleways ( reported to the NY moors national parks). Conditions are therefore difficult and I accept that, but we can't find anything to stop Skye's saddle slipping forward over her neck. We have tried neoprene racing pad, neoprene girth, Stubben webbed girth, Thorowgood sticky numnah, double sided elastic girth, riser pad, shoulder pad, combinations of all.

We had a saddle fitter out who said Skye was not a good conformation - long back, deep thoroughbred-type shoulder, not much shoulder muscle, deep barrel and forward ( or no) girth groove. So she's a disaster as well.

We just bought a Heather Moffet phoenix saddle, new, with a very expensive sheepskin numnah and a very expensive neoprene professional girth - you can imagine the cost. We waited for weeks, so excited, and the first time out - saddle over neck as soon as we hit downhill.

I'm not blaming the saddle at all - it is so comfortable.
Can anybody, anybody at all offer any solution?

Em

sheepskin can slip im afraid.
I use an equitex pad, and ive sewn non slip car boot liner i bought from halfords onto the underneath, not because my saddle slipped but because im lazy and hate washing things:p
The horse i bought it for is a ex racer, huge withers no no problem slipping up neck, but i do lots of steep hills as i do endurance rides over hilly terrian (im near wales) and i use a breastplate, and im glad to say my saddle doesnt move.
just got my new boy and hes a rather different shape, more round, hes a little barrell at the moment, but i use the equitex on him aswell and although the saddle is higer, i can mount from the ground and he cant wander off with me hanging off the side and it stayed put, may have moved the slightest bit to the left, but i had to deal with it then as i couldnt move it back:p
I have a prolite fhoenix gp btw.
the big grey thing in this pic is my non slip stuff i haven since cut of
PICT0147.jpg

Crupper probably worth a try though, if she doesn't like it you can always take it off! Lots have them and seem fine.

Give one a try, i wasnt sure but bim doesnt really seem to notice. Its only tight round the tail when its acually preventing it moving the rest of the time its actually quite loose.

newrider.com