DETTOL fly spray?

J.Ems

Jul 9, 2016
Lancashire
Hi guys

I have read tons of bits and bobs online about how people are using DETTOL as a fly spray? Now... I'm all for money saving as I'd rather use more of a home made cheaper fly spray than be a tight wad with the expensive ones which don't seem to work anyway. But I'm scared that I'm going to make all my horses' hair fall out!!!!!

Anyone tried this?

Its recommended neat on some pages, but diluted with citronella on others. And I do have citronella so I'd probs go for the diluted version first... I use dettol a lot at home and know it doesn't cause any skin irritations personally (unlike flash with bleach in which actually made my hands come out in boils) and it obviously doesn't affect my little boy... but it seems a scary product to put on an animal!

Any advice? xx

I wouldn't use dettol. If I did use fly spray (and I don't anymore just fly rugs here when there is no breeze) I'd most likely either stick with the recommended bought ones or use citronella mixed with water. Someone on a yard I was on once said Coopers is meant to be very good, I think it works out quite economically as you are meant to dilute it - but I could be wrong.
I am sure there will be lots of replies on this, everyone seems to have their own recipe. I think one involves cold tea? But I don't know why???
My old yard owner told me never to use human products on horses such as dettol - but that could have been meant in a capacity such a cleaning wounds.

If you google it there are tons of people saying its fine and I'm a bit confused as to how this could possibly be fine lol!!

As I said, I use citronella fly repellent at the moment ... I just stay safe and buy the horse ones... but nothing really seems to work to be honest :(

And the flies are TERRIBLE at the moment and making the ned's eyes runny xx

Aw I know it's horrible when their eyes run. There was one that you used to apply with a sponge, that seemed really strong but I am not sure. I remember going the oodles of the Naff one, it smelled nice but didn't do much.

I did go through a phase of making my own fly spray and I did add Dettol but only a drop in a couple of litres of solution. I worked on the idea that it's the smell that puts the flies off and it smells so strongly you only need a tiny bit to have this effect. I also only used it on their body/legs and stayed well away from sensitive parts. I wouldn't risk it on the face. It seemed to work when it was freshly applied but didn't last long. The best spray I found was Power Phaser fly spray which is expensive but did at least do something for a few hours. Nothing really seems to properly keep them away. I gave up trying to keep them away from eyes and just used a fly mask in the end (which made him look like a huge grey alien:D).

Yeah... Diego's fly fringe lasted all of about 30 minutes at that. The best fly repellent on the planet is owned by Bolt my little shettie- and thats his WHOPPER of a mane and tail! He is only diddy but he suffers less because of the amount of hair covering his eyes and back end. Unfortunately, Diego's hogged (well his re-growth is currently making him look like a zebra) so he has literally no protection from them.

Its good to know someone has used it and didn't end up killing their horse haha!!

The reason I'm so willing to try home made ones is because of how I have never actually found anything that keeps them at bay, from the cheapest own brand to the top end products, creams, lotions, gels, you name it I've tried it over the years and they all end up leaving me dissapointed.

I know feeding garlic is supposed to help but I think I've left it too late this year.. are you supposed to feed them it a few months before summer to get the effects? Or am I thinking about vitamins there lol...

I know in the wild they wouldn't have any help... but he's now started rubbing his tail and I'm mortified haha xxx

I have had enough with the bloomin flies and one of my lambs has got fly strike argghhhh horrible maggots!!!!! :(The vets said its the weather, I have been using the recommended spotinor on them, they were actually only treated again last weekend:mad:...so I will have to bring her in shear her and treat again..Sorry i replied here to say while i was at the vets I also got Deosect for the horses as I have had enough with the clegs...marley is covered in lumps and so am I...although they don't seem to go near rummy? So I diluted it into a spray bottle and both boys got a good dousing today...I shall see if it makes much of a difference..:rolleyes:

Reactions: J.Ems
Fly spray isn't expensive. The stuff I used last year was £9 and made up 15 litres.
I have only used Spot On twice this year, the best repellent is to ride before they get out of bed :)

I make my own fly spray for general use and use essential oils, tea and a little bit of mouthwash, or essential oil mixed in sudocrem, works as well as most :D the bugs here are terrible at the moment so i brought some commercial stuff and its made jess's skin peel round her udder :( not the first commercial fly stuff to upset her skin where my home made ones never have.

Yes the commercial ones make Josie come out in loads of tiny bumps so she doesn't get anything other than Avons Skin So Soft spray which is alright when I can get hold of it.

@newforest I'm not really bothered about the flies for me (I've ridden the past few days at 5.30am) but its the rest of the day when they're in the field being eaten alive that bothers me :( What on earth did you use that was £9 and lasted 15 litres recipe please :) LOL Maybe its where I live but I pay an average of £12 per litre for fly repellent and I'm not exaggerating! I thought I'd found a bargain a 750ml bottle the other day of citronella coat conditioner (but smells like fly repellent) for £9

xx

@joellie your poor sheep :( :( :( at least you are vigilant enough to have discovered it soon enough, its an awful thought of what happens when it isn't discovered in time :(

I have had enough with the bloomin flies and one of my lambs has got fly strike argghhhh horrible maggots!!!!! :(The vets said its the weather, I have been using the recommended spotinor on them, they were actually only treated again last weekend:mad:...so I will have to bring her in shear her and treat again..Sorry i replied here to say while i was at the vets I also got Deosect for the horses as I have had enough with the clegs...marley is covered in lumps and so am I...although they don't seem to go near rummy? So I diluted it into a spray bottle and both boys got a good dousing today...I shall see if it makes much of a difference..:rolleyes:
I use deosect among other things but deosect is my staple, I just dilute it down and spray on fly rugs, it's kept our ponies sweet itch very much under control. Expensive to buy, but the metal bottle lasts ages as you only use a tiny bit with water and it's still smells strongly. Neem oils also good as is itch stop salve. I use antihistamines is needed with sweet itch to stop the itch scratch cycle too. x

Reactions: newforest and Lemme
Skin so soft is good however haven't used it for a while it was actually recommended to me by a vet about 12 years ago now x

Skin so soft is good however haven't used it for a while it was actually recommended to me by a vet about 12 years ago now x

Good to know it was recommended by a vet! I've used it on Josie for a while as the normal fly repellents make her come out in all those little bumps I mentioned in a previous post, so its very good to know its recommended as working as well. As its been the only thing we could really use for her. xx

YO will often use diluted Dettol, makes a batch up in a bucket & sponges horses down with it. It seems to work & has never caused a reaction on any of them, but if he's had reactions to things before then I'd do a patch test first.

I think what fly spray works depends on the horse & the flies. I like Coopers & think it's worth the money, also it's less faff than Deosect since it's ready to use. Nettex Itch Stop salve is good for areas where they don't like spray. Power Phazer is effective but smells so bad it makes me heave, combined with hot sweaty horse & I actually threw up when riding so I avoid that now! If you want something without chemicals then the Barrier Health Care ones are good, as is Leovet TamTamVet (same people as PowerPhazer but without the chemicals or stink).

I used to use lots of Avon Skin so Soft to help repel midges on both of us! I wouldn't use it in the sun tho, its a dry oil and I should imagine anything would fry wearing it?! I hadn't thought if that aspect until someone on here pointed it out.

newrider.com