devils claw?

fionahogg

May 31, 2000
UK
Visit site
Hi all,

now that the weather is getting colder I have noticed Monty getting a bit stiffer. He had flexion tests recently - about a month ago (has had some physio) and was perfectly sound after but he is definately a bit stiffer on a cold day. Could he be a bit arthritic? He has super solvitax R-A formula but I was wondering if something like Devil's Claw would help? The vet is coming out next week for vaccinations so I will speak to her about it, but would like to here from anybody who has a similar problem or can offer any advice.

thanks,

Fiona

i really wouldn't go down that root yet until he seems a bit worse, after all you don't know how these effect them, i am sure one of the more experienced people on here can tell you!!
but i know there are cons to it, like if he gets worse the devils claw will start to have a less effect.
my horse has arthritis only slightly but i am not considering this root until she is a lot worse, i find natural products like cider apple, cortflex, or supple joint codlivine are the better root to go down to start off with!!
i think that what you are doing at the moment is properly the best thing!!! as long as there in no pain or lameness there and he is still fairly supple by the sounds of it he is i think he sounds fine!!

Swallow's mum tried Devil's Claw & it didn't make much difference at all to her DJD.

My 15-year old bitch is definitely better for Cortaflex.

I'd try Indian herbs for movement but I don't think they would make much difference to Frank as his ringbone is so well-established.

My New forest mare gets a little stiff on cold days or after over night stabling. I give her devils claw in liquid form if she is stabled and the morning before riding her jsut to help lossen her up. I think it is fab.

Does your horse get better for excercise or worse for excercise? My mare loosens up as soon as she is out of her box, so I also use a homeopathic treatment called rhus tox. Good for arthritus if worked out with excercise. you may want to use that as well. Again I only give it to her if she has been stabled over night and I am riding the following day other wise I just let her work it out in the field herself as she is in no pain at all.

If you want more info or advise on homeopathis treatment let me know I'll gladly let you know what I do :)

gem_pf@hotmail.com

I have a 42 year old pony has pretty severe arthritis in her left knee joint. We cannot exercie her and she lives out all of the time because when she is in, she constantly bangs her knee against the stall door. She is on Cosequin and BL solution. It is a combination of Devils Claw and Yucca and works very well for her. She is only slightly lame on occassion. I would not leave your horse on Bute long term because it has been proven to cause stomach ulcers.

Actually long term bute and stomach ulcers only applies to high doses. I have horses which I treat that have been on long term low dose bute (i.e. 1/2 sachet a day) for over 5 years and do not have problems. The bute and stomach ulcers is a possible problem, but relates to one study many years ago, and has been very much over-quoted by vets. Personally I think an older horse with arthritis is better off feeling comfortable moving and taking the risk of an ulcer, which can be easily treated and is easily spotted anyway (and in my opinion is unlikely).

devils Claw seems to work for some people and not for others. I personally have no opinion on whether it's worth trying or not. It's up to you.

Cortaflex is better in young horse with DJD but probably doesn't benefit older horses that much, though there's no harm in trying, and again some people swear by it (it does seem to help dogs, but their niology is slightly different to horses - not surprisingly!).

I'm all for trying anything you want, as long as it's not likely to be harmful.

There are a few older horses where I ride and one much loved old pony who was struggling badly was given a new lease of life on Cortaflex. One or two of the others get buteless too, and certainly seem happy on it.

newrider.com