Diagonals, trot poles and first canter off lunge

LeilaLei

Jul 18, 2023
Every lesson is something new. In the last two riding lessons (yes arena this time) I started learning to change diagonals at the trot, trotting over poles up in two point, and cantered in the round yard with no lunge line.
Changing diagonals was a real mental challenge (having to break from my rising rhythm). The poles and two point really wore my legs out. The canter was tricky as he was going too close to the side (a few clangs of stirrup iron). I had to hold the monkey grip with the outside rein and use the inside to keep him off the sides. A lot to think about at the time but I managed to keep it not too messy. But I had a mini ankle roll to the outside on the right side (my weaker leg) which totally surprised me. After a couple of minutes, I went back to my lesson, trotting and cantering. I think it should settle. Just thinking now, wow another mental hurdle cleared without the lunge line. It's getting a little bit less nerve-wracking every time : )

• Love
Reactions: GaryB and Jessey
Riding instructors are like that 🤣. Learn to do this (rising trot). Now you have that let's change that completely (changing diagonals). You just think you have cracked something and then they add something else to make you more confused 🤣. Your head is left spinning with all the things you have to think about. Think of your right shoulder, your left heel, one elbow, the other seat bone. Not forgetting your right thumb and left ring finger.....

Well done!

A tip if a horse is falling onto the side of the school is to use the outside rein to straighten him. I know it feels wrong, but if you think about it it makes sense. If you use the inside rein without sufficient support from your legs (and at this stage you've got far too much to think about to be thinking about leg aids in canter) what you'll do is turn the head and neck to the inside while allowing the outside shoulder to bulge out and the horse will then fall through that onto the rail and ouch goes your ankle again. By using the outside rein you straighten him a little and no horse in his right mind is planning on hitting his own head against the rail or wall, plus you'll find it easier to ride a straighter canter.

Reactions: LeilaLei and Jessey
Well done, it sounds like you are moving on in leaps and bounds now, it sounds like that long trail ride really got you into gear (be it physically or mentally) to progress on a lot of fronts in just a couple of lessons!

Reactions: LeilaLei
Well done!

A tip if a horse is falling onto the side of the school is to use the outside rein to straighten him. I know it feels wrong, but if you think about it it makes sense. If you use the inside rein without sufficient support from your legs (and at this stage you've got far too much to think about to be thinking about leg aids in canter) what you'll do is turn the head and neck to the inside while allowing the outside shoulder to bulge out and the horse will then fall through that onto the rail and ouch goes your ankle again. By using the outside rein you straighten him a little and no horse in his right mind is planning on hitting his own head against the rail or wall, plus you'll find it easier to ride a straighter canter.
That makes sense and I may be overcompensating. I actually feel like I have a bit of an aversion to the rails/fences too.

Well done, it sounds like you are moving on in leaps and bounds now, it sounds like that long trail ride really got you into gear (be it physically or mentally) to progress on a lot of fronts in just a couple of lessons!
Thank you that is very nice to hear. Yes, I think those little pushes out of the usual make a big difference especially mentally!

Reactions: Jessey
I actually feel like I have a bit of an aversion to the rails/fences too.
You are not the only one. It is the bane of beginners, because it can hurt, brushing or even knocking one's knees against the fence. One remedy, on the long side is to ride the horse just inside the outside track. I was used to steering my horse out hacking, but less so in the school. So I used to imagine low branches overhanging the school fence, and ride further from the school fence as if to avoid them.

Another thing I was taught by our RI was to lay the outside rein on the outside shoulder of the horse as we got to the corner in trot. However I was riding an elderly mare who tended to fall out at the shoulder, so this might not be right for every horse. But, as a beginner, almost any touch on the rein (to steer round the corner) is likely to slow down ones horse and possibly lose the trot and return to walk. It took me ages to learn to trot round corners. I used to practise out hacking where there is usually no fence, and often the horse can see and follow the corner where two tracks cross.

Reactions: LeilaLei
newrider.com