did anyone else feel like this bringing on their horse?

RRA

Jan 30, 2008
Berkshire
It has been a good weekend for me and Thea - yesterday we hacked out in company and did our first 'open space' canter...I felt nervous not knowing how she would react..it was across a village green (it has a bridleway going through it so we weren't doing something we shouldn't) so potentially quite a few distractions or noises but she was excellent she loved it and didn't get too strong or excitable - although very little encouragement was required!! I just wish my seat had been better I tipped forward when we set off, my toes went down and couldn't for the life of me get them back just seemed stuck in the stirrups...I was trying to adjust my seat and keep my girl steady telling myself to relax and put my heels down...but hey-ho now we've done it once hopefully next time I will feel more relaxed, enjoy it and my seat will be as it should be!

Anyway (I'm queen of the waffle) I was thinking to myself if I had been at a RS and (hypothetically) they gave me MY horse to ride as she is and she went as well as that for me I would want to ride her every time and probably push her on faster but as she IS mine and she's just started cantering out on hacks and I want her to have good manners and not think as soon as she hits grass we're off!.... I am so much more cautious about it. I look forward to the day when I am more chilled about it because I am sure she will be fantastic fun but for now I feel I need to be fairly sure of how she will react in different situations. Although it is a learning curve for us both, am I being a wimp? - I keep saying better to be safe than sorry and I don't want to end up with a loony I can't stop or become afraid to get on!!

Today we did a short hack down the lane (with OH on foot a good distance behind so no leader at all) I was pleased to get her to my chosen point with just a little bit of napping - but I was firmer with her and gave her plenty of praise too and she responded well. I am no expert by any means but by doing these 'baby steps' I don't feel I'm putting too much pressure on either of us as long as each time we do something it pushes both our boundaries just a little and it helps my confidence too as I wasn't sure I was 'up to the job' taking on an inexperienced 5yr old.

A glass of wine AND some chocolate for those who've got this far but would love to hear from those of you with 'greenish' horses or just new horses to them who feel the same and how you get through each step as ANY good tips are always appreciated - thank you :)

i took my youngster for his first open gallop yesterday as well and yes he was good to start with and the bucked with joy about 6 times lol.

schooled him today and he was dead, tired i think!

i tend to have ups and downs with him, for example he schools great day before dressage but in the test is tense and doesnt bend at all. so we loose like 10% but at least i know he can do it when he wants!!

good luck with yours

I can relate to this :) I felt like I knew my old horse inside out, he knew me and I just had to think something & it happened. When I first got P she was a 4yo & I had no idea what she would do. I have tried to do things a step at a time, usually this means doing something in company before we try it on our own. One of my favourite moments was the first time we had a 'proper' gallop - I asked for canter, she went like a bullet, I thought oh bugger she's going rather faster than I intended, than I thought hang on this is fun, just go with it! In the end I couldn't stop grinning, it was great fun & she pulled up quite happily when she'd had enough :) After that I thought me & you are going to have a lot of fun together missus :cool: It's not been a total doddle, P has a nap in her and we have had our discussions on hacks, but she's still young and it's unrealistic to expect everything to happen totally according to plan. She is a laydee after all - don't I just know it :eek:

newrider.com