Did you know this? I certainly didn't!

I know if they have gone a bit soft you put in water and then go hard.

Last edited:
Yep, we used to do this at a livery yard I was on, works especially well in the summer to stop them going manky!

Didn't think to mention it hun, it's one of things that I assumed everyone knew.
I am slightly flabbergasted that I actually knew something related to horses that other people didn't know. :redface:

It never occurred to me either, yet I sometimes do the Sunday veg before I go to the yard, and always cover them in water.

D'oh! I'm going start buying those mesh nets of "pony carrots" for £2.50 off the market again!

I get a sack of horse carrots and they last over two weeks outside in shed storage.. they often froze and defrosted due to the weather but never went slimy, in the summer though, they would..
Tip for you guys though, slimey carrots carry a mould which is good for your horses, so I don't think i'll be submersing my horses carrots just yet :smile:
(can you guess what the mould is?)

If you pop a banana in the freezer it hardens that as well. You don't need to chuck out when gone past its best.

Tip for you guys though, slimey carrots carry a mould which is good for your horses, so I don't think i'll be submersing my horses carrots just yet :smile:
(can you guess what the mould is?)

Yes a vet bill, my previous chap was allergic to types of mold.

My carrots usually keep two or three weeks anyways. In summer you can't get large bags of pony carrots anyway, I buy Sainsburys own and keep them in the fridge. Our two don't get many once the weather warms up anyways! They are more interested in grass.

newrider.com