Differences between products

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I was lucky enough to win several tack cleaning / upkeep items. I have a large can of leather dressing and also some saddle soap. Now, I have been using dubbing to breathe new life into my old leather boots - with quite a good success rate. Plus it waterproofs them up temporarily. I also use neatsfoot on my boots (I know that is a no no for tack mind). What is the difference though between using a leather balm and leather dressing? I had some Effax (gorgeous smell but quite pricey) which did a lovely job. Tbh, I can't see what the leather dressing does as you just paint it on and it sinks in. Any ideas? I was going to do Joe's old bridle with it and see what happens.

I havnt used the products you have mentioned but I use horsemans one step which is a cream cleaner an conditioner have used it for years and has kept my ariats going strong for 3 years,every month or so I do give them a good cover of Albion balsam which I find just really softens them up but I have no idea the difference between conditioner and balsam.I use Naf soft soap for my tack and do a naf leather balsam every 2 weeks which seems to waterproof it up again,i did try koo choo line once and never again!the riding school I learnt to ride at always layered the saddles in Vaseline in the winter when they aren't been used and the tack seemed to last a lifetime considering the abuse it got.I think its personal preference really but I do always seem to be drawn to soft soap and creams just because they are easier!

I have heard good things about the Horsemans one step. I do like something quite thick, the leather dressing I have is watery, but it is quite easy to apply with a brush.

The naf soap and balsam are quite thick and so is Albion balsam but it goes on really easy,the horsemans one step is runnier but its still a cream rather than liquid,similar to conditioner

I lurve Effax. Love the smell, love the way it is so supple and doesn't make it greasy. Wouldn't use anything else!

In fact my new to me second hand saddle was just so lush and so soft and smelt so beautiful, I messaged the lady who sold it to me and asked what it was she used!! She said Effax, and have not used anything else since!!

newrider.com