Difficult situation- help! ASAP

Loopy_Laura

Apr 3, 2002
Bucks
Visit site
I just need some advice and a bit of perspective.

My horse has been prescribed box rest of initially a month, and probably more, for a stress fracture.

She is currently a grass livery on a yard that I really really really like. Unfortunately there are no stables free at the yard, so the yo very kindly made a field shelter into a temporary stable. She came home yesterday, and i was already slightly concerned about the situation, as the bed was already not that clean, I think it will be hard to skip out, because of its location she gets less attention from the yard staff, she cannot be hayed ad lib, because of the way the bedding has raised the floor one of the beams of the stable is now quite low- all problematic but i thought work-roundable.

However this morning i got to the yard and found that one corner of the bed has flooded and become very muddy and the whole bed is damp. I presume water is seeming up through the ground and into the shavings. I spoke to the yard owner who basically said that the water couldnt come through the ground into her bed and i feel a bit fobbed off? Could this happen? We put whole bales of shavings in one corner to block and water coming in but im not sure it will stop the bed getting damp.

I'm not sure what to do. :confused: I have thought about moving her but i have so many friends at my yard, and when she is better the grazing is great and so are the facilities. I'm just not sure how to go about moving her temporarily without upsetting my yo...

:(:(:(:(

Unless you can get a proper stable I think you'll have to move her while she's on box rest. Can you explain to your YO that you appreciate her efforts but you don't think it's going to work so until she can go out again you'll be moving her? Maybe offer to keep paying grass livery so that your place is kept & as a sign that it is only a temporary move. Unfortunately if she keeps standing in damp bedding you're going to get all sorts of problems plus it can't be very pleasant.

Good luck with your horse.

Hi my boys are on grass livery but others on same yard have stables,nearly all stables unused at moment as most out 24/7.Is there anyone on your yard who has stable they are not using,would they let you use it until horse recovers,i know their are people on my yard who would do this for me,of course i would pay them rent for stable.

learningcurve has a good idea, thats sounds like its worth a shot, or other wise it seems a nice chat to say its not working with Y/O but if it doesnt work a temporary move might be unavoidable as carthorse said, you dont want a horse stood on damp bedding!

I'd try Learningcurve's suggestion first

We had one of our stables in use for a few weeks by one of the grass livery's as her boy cut his leg and it needed 12 staples so he need to be kept in for a couple of weeks

We were more than happy to help out

Failing that, sadly, a temporary move may be in order

learning curves suggestiong 1st

then defintely move - foryour horses benefit

Surely someone at your yard could help, by leaving their horse out 24/7:confused: my horse has been on box rest and one of the girls swapped stables with me so my horse would have company:)

It sounds as if your yard owner is a gem. One of the problems of grass livery is if the horse needs a stable you are in great problems and it sounds as if your YO has really tried to help.

Unfortunately if what is available doesn't work you can only look for a stable elsewhere. It is unreasonable to expect others to move out .

It sounds as if your yard owner is a gem. One of the problems of grass livery is if the horse needs a stable you are in great problems and it sounds as if your YO has really tried to help.

Unfortunately if what is available doesn't work you can only look for a stable elsewhere. It is unreasonable to expect others to move out .

I agree, I dont know if your YO would agree but digging a shallow ditch around the shelter might run the water away, would be hard work for you though.

newrider.com