Difficult to clip ........

April_showers

R.I.P Chez ** my lil star
Jul 9, 2005
East Devon
www.freewebs.com
April hates clippers

she cow kicks rears and bucks!

skye my big mare loves it i am thinking maybe if i tie april next to skye while skye is being clipped it may get her use to the noise

we have small quite no lead clippers the really easy to use.

any suggestion on how to get her to get use to them ???

she is like a wolly mamouth at the moment and when ever i ride she sweats loads

i really would only like to sadate if i absolubtaly have to!
please help

Oh dear, my mare is TERRIFIED of clippers !!! She too is like a woolly mammoth - she's starting to get really sweaty after exercise so I'm going to have to do something. I think I am going to get her sedated. Apparently her previous owner tried clipping but had to give up half way through :eek: Wish they didn't need clipping - don't really fancy getting her sedated but its the only option me thinks. Good luck with yours! :)

have you tried manual clippers, i.e. the old style ones that are operated by hand (a bit like a scissor action)? an older lady on our old yard clipped her pony using the manual clippers as pony was terrified of normal clippers. you cut out the noise and vibration.

I wouldent use the manual clippers, they are not designed for the job and would pull and stuff and cause more problems.

You can try de-sentising her by clipping the other horse around her, and just running the clippers outside her stable, and working towards putting them on her for a moment upside down and gradually work to running them all over her body without clipping.

Its a very long process and may or may not work and will require lots of time and patience.

Are you an experienced clipper yourself? If not, or your not overly confident, or quick, then it may be worth getting some ACP and hiring a pro to clip her confidently and quitely and leaving her with a good impression, and the ACP will just take the edge off her.

Otherwise the other options are time and patience and its doubtful you will get her clipped in the very near future, you will need to just take your time with it.

wel i started clipping about 5 winters ago when in was 10 when i had horses and i have got quite good at it and my mum clips peoples horses all around devon so if needs be then i can get mum to do her but she has alot of trust in me i have only had her for 9 months and when i brought her she was already clipped but the woman said she was really difficult, i havent tried her but she trust me with everything like when we broght her she wouldnt hack out now she is happy to trot past cars etc as we has a really special bond i just want to make sure im doing the right thing as i dont want to push her out of her comfat zone as this could cause more problems and i need a vback up plan
thanks guy x x x :rolleyes:

Your very accomplished for a younger person then, not many 10yr olds can clip, and then continue to do so and become good at 15 and deal with difficult horses.

Well I would say to try and de-sensitise her then over time and work at it, it will prob take a very long time. Dont just do it in the winter though, get the clippers out all year to get her used to them a couple of times a week at least, more if it dosent panic her to much.

If you can go without clipping her I would just do this and spend more time warming her up properly and cooling her off carefully.

If its imperative that you clip her (I have to clip my horse, really not looking forward to that) then it may be better to have her sedated to whatever level suits her, and I would get your MOTHER to clip her in that case, clipping sedated horses is no bloody picnic I can assure you, and is even more dangerous in my opinion.

And go for a low trace clip or a chaser for now, I wouldent attempt to clip a horse like this out, nor touch its head personally.

?? Ok who told you that?

Dressage has no such rules, you clip whatever you want, its only showing that requires abit more forthought, but even then, they dont rule on what clip you have, but obv out looks better if your showing at a decent level.

I got Lily used to clipping by tying her with a scrummy haylage net near to another horse being clipped, she lets me do what I want now and she used to cow kick too.

Keep persevering and start off with a simple small clip like take out under the neck and chest area, when she gets more comfortable with that then go a little further.

I don't know where the idea of clips -v- dressage came from though ?! I've never heard it.

Some showing rules do frown on late clipping - WPCS for example will mark down a pony or cob clipped for spring shows, although a clip that's growing out is ok. From WPCS rules;

"4.3 Animals, 3 years old and under must not be body clipped for showing purposes. Animals 4 years old or over, which have been clipped for winter activities can be shown. Fresh clipping for spring shows is not permissible. Judges must take special notes of this. Legs must not be clipped."

Not a problem at this time of year really, or if you don't show with the societies that do frown on it. It won't affect other disciplines like stressage and jumping.

My old horse was renowned for being impossible to clip, so I decided to clip him :D

We started with the manual ones, only planning to take his chest neck off, they worked fine but went blunt when we were half way though :eek: so then we had to use powered clippers, so, big bucket of fav. food, a hay net, a radio and off we went, I only did as long as he would eat for ie 10-15 minutes each day (took nearly a week as he had a big shaggy cob coat), the trick with him was just to ignor any reaction he made and crack on like it was nothing, he was clipped every year after that :D

One word of advise, no matter what clippers you use start in the middle of the throat and work out evenly, then if the clippers break or the horse says enough is enough your clip will look OK (at least from a distance) but it will mean that you don't end up having to ride a horse who from one side is clipped and the other is not :D yep, been there done that :D

well, The horse I used to ride hated the clippers, and after we would ride him he was a sweaty mess. Eventually we had to clip him because we were going to take him to a show. he was pulling back and circling when we did this, and we got the Idea to turn on the radio to block out the noise and after we did that he stood there quietly the whole time. :D

I hope this helps

I have a mare that is unbearable to clip, had given up trying when she kicked me in the mouth (need stitches in my lip) I was clipping by her elbow and hooked her back leg round a caught me in the face....so please be very careful, her problem is that she is very ticklish all over. (she was also sedated)

Last year I bought Liveryman Element Trimmers (heavy duty trimmers) and I can clip her out, they only cost £59, you can charge them so no lead but only last an hour or use a lead, last year I just clipped her over 2 days.

sorry if i repeat anyone because i havnt got that much time to read the rest of the posts, but i agree that putting the other horse in may help.

if the horse kicks a lot you may be able to use a humane twitch which would enable you to have a bit more control, but that might be a bit too drastic. just try and introduce the clippers slowly so its not that much of a big thing to your horsey.

Frits is not sure of the clippers. The only part of Frits that I am allowed to clip is his beard and muzzle.

At the moment I am desensitising him to the clippers. Everyday when I groom him I bring out the clippers and let him have a sniff and a snort at them and then I rub them over his neck.

When he is eating I will put the clippers on so that I can desensitise him to the noise.

Still a work in progress but I am hoping that it will work.

yay i got my clippers out today and went near her 1st of all she shyed and went to the back of the stables the u turned then off and managed to rubthem over her and turned them on she was fine then i clipped a tiny square she wasnt happy but nothing drastic :rolleyes: thanks for all your help its all helping

newrider.com