Dilema, all help needed in adult riding a pony

Jackblack

Sep 4, 2008
Ok so here it is was talking to a lovely girl who has a 14h 2 pony for sale, pony has been trained by her and she is willing for me to do a full trial in her yard for however long i want and to watche her in the local school or try her in the local school, pony comes with all tack and rus. the pony is €1800 and is used by a 5 f 4 person on her. i am 5ft 8 and i am 10 stone and a little bit. :) would this pony be able to carry my weight, she is about 4 and a half or should i turn her away fo the winter, she has been trained for the last seven months and is registered, passport, etc.

i am not growing any more and am getting thinner, should i wait and find an older horse or should i grab this pony and see how i get on,

what will i do???? such a cute pony

No way are you too big!! Even if she is an arab type. I have a 13.3 cob and ride him all the time (I'm quite a bit shorter and a stone lighter) however my dad rides him occasionally galloping thru the fields and he is a good few inches taller than you and he must be at least 13st, and my lad carries him just fine. I would say no problem at all what so ever. if in doubt you could trial her or how about weight tape her and see how much 20% of her weight is as a guidline. I think you will be suprised. At 14.2 I'd be suprised if she couldn't take a good 11-12st of balanced rider even if relatively fine.
Good luck with her xx

class, that is just what i wanted to hear i will be seeing her on saturday although might not be able to ride her due to me still being in pain from being catapulted from bucking bronco.

but ill bring a friend with me. no sudden decisions just yet

Mine was 14'3 when I bought him, I'm 5'8 ish and weigh loads more then you-he looks little on the ground but I look Ok, apparently and he carries me well:

DSC01301.jpg

Go try if you're not too bruised! (Then we want lots of pictures!!)

I might be inclined to turn away for the winter regardless of weight. If she is a stocky little thing I see no problem. My pony, who is 13.3hh and well built but by no means a cob has carried 5ft10 and 10st plus no problem.

Vicki xx

she is not stocky at all, i went out to see her last night and i took her around the arena, brought a friend with me and we both fell for her, my friends horse had an injury about 3 months ago and is healed up well but she is looking for something smaller, so we came to the conclusion that i would have her horse and she can have the little filly,

her horse is amazing, he is 16h 2, a school master, 7 years old and absolutly gorgeous and safe.

i rode him lots before and he is so sweet, he really tries to protect and is a great confidence giver, so i get her horse which i will turn away for the winter to build up again (lost lots of condition) and she will turn the filly away too to chunk up).

so this has turned out great i am getting a horse i know and trust who has full passport and vaccinations, have passed vets, known this horse since it came to her yard, i named the horse, his real name is jasper but i like shadow better, and i nursed this horse back to health. he got a large cut on his hind leg when he spooked while being tied up to a gate for like 10 seconds and dragged the gate with him.

so happy out everyone,

I know someone that is about 2 inches taller than you, about six stone heavier and rides a 14.3hh connie so I think this pony should be more than fine.

thank you so much, i will have to build him up a bit but he will be great, just what i wanted

newrider.com