Dismounting problems with disability

laurenmeylerxx

Apr 9, 2019
Okay so here goes....

when I was younger I rode a lot. Due to my health I had to give it up. But I decided 1 year ago to get back on a horse and now ride 2-3x week. Today I didn my first jump (eek), I can canter, mount but am having terrible issues dismounting.

I have a rare condition which makes me very floppy affecting muscles, joints and organs. It means I have low muscle strength and bad special awareness.

When I first got back in the saddle I developed a fear of dismounting. This passed but has come back.

I really struggle to swing my leg over the back of the saddle. It’s not the drop to the ground instead just that intital swing. It’s really frustrating me being reliant on other people to either hold the horse to get off onto a mounting block or help swing my leg.

I know it’s a mixture of physical issues and mindset. Also I find people watching worse.

I want to be able to just get off easily like when I’m with my loan horse.

I want to just enjoy the ride Rather than panicking about getting off.

Any advice would be much appreciated as it’s really frustrating me.

Thanks in advance

Xxx

Just to clarify, your fine when alone with your share horse but not when on a lesson horse? If that's the case it sounds less of a physical issue and more about how you feel when people are watching, does that sound accurate?

I have the opposite, it's the drop to the ground my knees don't like, so I stand up in the stirrup, get my leg over, then lean on the saddle get other foot out and slither down. dignified it isn't but it doesn't hurt

If you are in the UK why not visit your local RDA and see if they have any tips for you?

I have a very high mounting block. I also use it to dismount. It's high enough that I can take my foot out the stirrup and place it on the mounting block. So i actually have a solid footing and purchase before I swing my leg over.
Having used lower mounting blocks to mount and dismount. I can firmly say that now I have a high mounting block it makes it so much easier for me to dismount. I'm not very flexible. There is no disgrace in dismounting onto a block. In fact with my high block I am putting less pressure on my horses back as I dismount as I have the firm footing on the block.

Is it worth booking a half hour private lesson and devoting it to trying to find a safe easy way to dismount?

newrider.com