Dissertation: REQUEST FOR INPUT

J-Martin

Nov 15, 2019
Hi,

My name is Joan Martin and I am currently in my final year of BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare at Hartpury University, UK. I’m running a questionnaire survey for my dissertation on the practice of neck-patting of horses as a form of reward.

I would appreciate it if you could complete my anonymous survey at https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/Horseridingtraditions and/or share the link with others.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Joan

Done, sounds interesting. Are you continuing the previous studies on heart rate and horses reactions as a result of patting?

A nice survey. The only area I felt a bit iffy answering was the one assessing the horse's personality because I wanted somewhere to say it depends on who's handling and riding - answering it I kept thinking he's one answer for me but can be very different for someone else, or his herd behaviour depends very much on who's in the herd etc

I found it very interesting but agree with @carthorse above. One particular question asked if the horse was something, maybe sociable? eg focused on people or horses, which are two very different things to my horse who likes people but doesn't get on well with other horses. Also the question on dominance, I answered as regards to other horses, wasn't sure whether I should be thinking about if he's dominant in a herd (yes) or dominant to people (no).

Sorry to sound picky. I was very interested in your subject choice and would love to see the results of the survey.

newrider.com