diy costs are expensive?

harleemonster

Sep 30, 2009
Buckie, Scotland
how much should a half decent diy livery really cost?

i currently pay £35. nice big field but doesnt seem to ever be cleaned.

school really needs more sand and releveling.

straw is included, tack room leaks.

i do feel im getting robbed as friends down south say they pay £70-80 a month.

there doesnt seem to be any other local to me so am tied.

any thoughts?

If you're on DIY, surely you should be poo picking your field? Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick!

I think it's around 35 a week for me but I live in an expensive area. In areas of devon you might pay just 10. I guess it depends on the area, how much land there is available, how well managed the land is (ie. is it boggy and over grazed or alright?) and facilities.

I'd complain then, if you're not getting what you're paying for. For example in a shop if you ordered a tea and a scone and they only gave you a scone, you'd complain wouldn't you? Same thing in my eyes. Do you have a contract at all?

Maybe talk to the YO about how you're feeling and see if they can do anything.

Im in Bournemouth which is genrally a pretty expensive area for most things and I pay £45 per month per horse to share 2 1/2 acres. Nothing else included. If the fence, water or access need repair or maintenance they'll do that, otherwise its up to me - provided my own shed and shelter, own hay, do own poo picking etc. Its fab - I love being left alone :D We share with one other person and we do a proportion of the poo picking - i have 2 horses and she 1 so i do 2/3s of chores

If things have been agreed as included in the price then you need to mention it, politely at first, but if it isnt being resolved, make a formal complaint?

I pay £22 a week for DIY in Manchester. Includes daily turnout (fewer hours in winter depending on conditions), good size school (sand is a little deep if I'm going to be fussy), jumping field (although this is used as a turn out field too so is sometimes only free in the evenings), ample tack and storage area, (shared with 2 others), sick paddock, fields, school and muck heap etc really well maintained, plus direct access to miles and miles of off road hacking. And most importantly the YO is lovely and there is little to no bitching!

I'm in the midlands and round here that would be a hell of a lot. the best 'quality' (not my kind of place but i can see why you pay what you pay) is £27pw - good grazing in summer, hardcore in winter, 3 schools - one indoor, one rubber with full set of show jumps, rubber matted stables with automatic waterers, horse walker, shower.

I pay £80pcm (works out about £18.50 a week) for decent size stables, outdoor school, fab hacking, grazing (24/7 april-oct), SJ field, small XC course, shower, individual back boxes, plenty of hay/straw storage and YOs are brilliant and making improvements all the time :)

I pay £20 a week but that's on a private yard with only 3 horses including mine. We go down one end of the day each, and help with each others horses. Chores are shared. Not including any hay/feed/shavings.

There are 13 acres and hacking is ok. No school though :(

I'm in the midlands and round here that would be a hell of a lot. the best 'quality' (not my kind of place but i can see why you pay what you pay) is £27pw - good grazing in summer, hardcore in winter, 3 schools - one indoor, one rubber with full set of show jumps, rubber matted stables with automatic waterers, horse walker, shower.

I pay £80pcm (works out about £18.50 a week) for decent size stables, outdoor school, fab hacking, grazing (24/7 april-oct), SJ field, small XC course, shower, individual back boxes, plenty of hay/straw storage and YOs are brilliant and making improvements all the time :)

i dont even get half of that!! and from end of oct he will have to come in at nights as none allowed to stay out!!! its not even a livery yard im on its just a farm that the lady has a small amount of boarders

I pay 80 a month and that includes stable, 24 hour turnout, decent size menage with rubber and sand floor, jumping paddock with show jumps, tack rooms and shower room with hot and cold running water. The yard and its land is owned by Ineos Chlor and is run by 3 trustees, they manage all the incomings and outgoings and means that we are all responsible for the maintenance of the yard. It can mean a bit of work sometimes but I think its adds to the feel of the yard.

I think for what you have £35ppw is very expensive. Especially as they aren't even maintaining the feild as you said was part of the agreement.
I have pretty much the same facilities that you have now and I pay £14ppw!

I'm in East Lothian and have two on DIY, I pay £22.50 per week for each pony/horse. This includes sole use of 2.5 acres to use as I wish, tack room with hot and cold water, toilet. decent stables with power and light and a hay store.

We have a schooling area - grass though so not brilliant but friend lives across the road and I have use of her all weather school:D hacking not too bad and plenty of half decent other liveries who all pitch in to help each other out - no bi@ching as yet!!

Would be great if I could get all this for £15 per week!!

Hubby moans as we have an empty 1.5 acre field at home with a few hens and goats in it!!

my god im gutted!!! :(

must find somewhere cheaper!!!

well if anyone can help, i live in north east scotland, in buckie. am willing to help/share with anyone who is like minded!!

thanks for your info guys, its heled me see the situation clearer and i will definatley look for something else. :)

Hmmm - all food (and ££££s) for thought... is anyone in Rutland (I'm halfway between Stamford & Oakham)? Anyone got any ideas what sort of prices I might be looking at (not going to be spending enough time in Kenya to have to worry about that option any more!)? Sorry to barge in and hi-jack.

I'm a bit further south in the region than you so can't reccommend any places unfortunately :( glad you've found somewhere else though :) we used to pay about that when on DIY livery so it's maybe the going rate? we've since moved to a private yard.

newrider.com