Diy Haynets

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I have been having a hard time finding a decent sized small holed haynet at a decent price, the ones they seem to sell now are huge and I could actually fit one of my goats into the one I bought from my local agri shop, I can barely lift it when it's full, so I had a google, found a video on youtube and had a go at making my own with some paracord I had lying around. I thought I would share them as it's not as difficult as I thought it would be and other people might want to have a go :D

It took a couple of hours to do each net. The video said to do a knot at the bottom of the net, but I used a metal ring about 1.5 inches wide and looped/knotted them around that instead.

The first net I did was very small, it's fine for my goats and alpacas but too small for horses really, that was using 2.5m of cord folded in half. I upped the cord to 3.5m and that made a better sized net for me, it's about 30 inches long. I used 12 strands of cord for each net, to make a wider net I could add more paracord strands.

Attachments

• small diy haynet blue and yellow.jpg
    small diy haynet blue and yellow.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 18
  • Turquoise and brown diy haynet.jpg
    Turquoise and brown diy haynet.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 20
I looked at doing this but you seemed to need so much cord it wasn't going to be cost effective, did you use 12 x 3.5m strands? Though I might give it a go with the dust bin full of baling twine I have currently :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I have been having a hard time finding a decent sized small holed haynet at a decent price, the ones they seem to sell now are huge and I could actually fit one of my goats into the one I bought from my local agri shop, I can barely lift it when it's full, so I had a google, found a video on youtube and had a go at making my own with some paracord I had lying around. I thought I would share them as it's not as difficult as I thought it would be and other people might want to have a go :D

It took a couple of hours to do each net. The video said to do a knot at the bottom of the net, but I used a metal ring about 1.5 inches wide and looped/knotted them around that instead.

The first net I did was very small, it's fine for my goats and alpacas but too small for horses really, that was using 2.5m of cord folded in half. I upped the cord to 3.5m and that made a better sized net for me, it's about 30 inches long. I used 12 strands of cord for each net, to make a wider net I could add more paracord strands.

How good are you making these!!!!! I fear I may end up tangled like a kitten with a ball of wool if I try!!!

Reactions: No_Angel
Yea I used 12 x 3.5 m lengths, then put them around the ring at the bottom and looped them through themselves.

I was thinking of having a go with my baler twine, but mine are pretty short and I'd have to knot a lot together to use it, so decided against it, but I'm sure any sort of rope or cord would work for it. :)

Reactions: Jessey
Yea I used 12 x 3.5 m lengths, then put them around the ring at the bottom and looped them through themselves.

I was thinking of having a go with my baler twine, but mine are pretty short and I'd have to knot a lot together to use it, so decided against it, but I'm sure any sort of rope or cord would work for it. :)
I have regular size bale twine and the giant stuff that come off of full hesston's, I could probably make full bale nets with that :D

How good are you making these!!!!! I fear I may end up tangled like a kitten with a ball of wool if I try!!!

I did get tangled a little bit, but I found it helped having the bottom ring tied up high-ish so I could get at everything better, I started on the kitchen table chair then moved to up the coat hooks,lol.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers

I’m really impressed with the nets you’ve made. I have a cob who’s been nicknamed ‘destructapony’ because he’s ruined almost all of the small holed nets I’ve bought. He’s not very good at eating slowly so I have thought about making my own nets because, like you said, they’re sooooo expensive to buy. Great colours you’ve chosen. How are they standing up to being used? I might have to have a go at making my own now...

I’m really impressed with the nets you’ve made. I have a cob who’s been nicknamed ‘destructapony’ because he’s ruined almost all of the small holed nets I’ve bought. He’s not very good at eating slowly so I have thought about making my own nets because, like you said, they’re sooooo expensive to buy. Great colours you’ve chosen. How are they standing up to being used? I might have to have a go at making my own now...

The ones in the pics above are holding up great, they have been really easy to fill and the horses/goats/alpacas have been eating from them fine. I did made some more nets using some paracord I bought from ebay, the horses ones are doing fine, although the occasional knot at the top where the tying cord runs through has come undone (I just retie them), but the goats have managed to chew through theirs :rolleyes:

newrider.com