DIY turnout, shetland style

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
We have 3 fields, which give plenty of space, but very poor grazing - mostly moss and mud. Our regime at the moment is for the ponies to spend the night in the “main” field at night, where they have barn shelter and some hay if they want it. They get turned out into an adjacent field during the day. They cross our garden to get from one field to the other. There is a gap in the dry stone wall further along, but we don’t use it as a gateway, and blocked it off with a sheep hurdle, wedged into the stones. It has been like this for several years.
Or rather I should say didn’t use it as a gateway. Somebody (no prizes for guessing who!) must have been pushing at the barrier yesterday, sufficiently for them all to turn themselves out this morning. So here is Wubby coming back through his handiwork to see if the morning carrot is still on offer.102381

Those look good sized barns you have in the background.
I wish! That is a small industrial estate. Those sheds are a mussel processing unit and a warehouse. We are next to a very busy working pier serving the salmon and whitefish industries. Perhaps surprisingly, there is very little noise or smell from the various activities. There are plans, which we support, to expand the industrial park and build a marina, which will be a huge benefit to the area.

Reactions: Jessey
I wish! That is a small industrial estate. Those sheds are a mussel processing unit and a warehouse. We are next to a very busy working pier serving the salmon and whitefish industries. Perhaps surprisingly, there is very little noise or smell from the various activities. There are plans, which we support, to expand the industrial park and build a marina, which will be a huge benefit to the area.

Ah! I see. I was thinking one of those would make a super duper indoor school!!! That's really interesting about building a marina, how exciting that would be. No shortage of fish goodies at your place then :) :)

Reactions: Sparky Lily
newrider.com