Do all fleece rugs come up big? Weatherbeeta polar?

Asima

May 17, 2008
Wales
The new horse needs a fleece rug but I don't what size to get. He's a size 6'0.
But the last fleece I bought was a size 5'3 which didn't fit my youngster and is quite loose on my OH's cob who is a size 5'6. So I bought her a 5'0 fleece rug that fits :confused:

Are they all like that?, the ones I've bought are from the local tack shop and are unbranded or by Double Horse.

I want to get the Weatherbeeta Polar fleece rug but I don't know whether to buy a 5'6 or 5'9-6'0.

Does anyone have one?, are they true to size?

I would say they are pretty true to size - I had a weatherbeeta stable rug that was a bit too tight for my horse, then a while later I bought a weatherbeeta fleece which was also a very similar fit so you should be ok with the 6'.

just to add though..... i have a 6'9 WB fleece for her and it's perfect for use without tack - but to chuck it over a saddle ie - waiting to ride etc - then i wish i'd bought one size up :) so depends on what you want to use it for....

I found double horse fleeces came up big on Indie and was too big around the front!

Ive got a weatherbeeta fleece that is true to size in a 5'6" and am waiting of a delivery of a 5'9", 6'0" and 6'3" - hopefully shall arrive in the next day or 2!! Ive found the weatherbeeta fleeces fantastic hence i bought a few more!!

Also just a thought if u r not bothered about colour then equestrian clearance have some for £12.99. Hopefully the link will work......

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/clearance/clearance/horse_wear/index.html

Ok i just cheacked as ordered 5 fleeces a few days back and they still have some in most sizes - these r what i ordered and have so far recieved the weatherbeeta ones

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/...m_polar_fleece_coolers/clearance/1/index.html

They have loads of others still in stock in normal bit and clearance bit! Word of warning on that particular product u dont select colour and the first i recieved was classed as raspberry which is a lovely rich bright pink - perfect for a gelding!! Poor Indie was ever so embarrased when he first wore it!! Have to say it does suit him though.......

ETA - there r other fleeces but these r the cheapest and the ones ive got! Also cant spell (been a long nite at work!)

Its quite annoying that i cant add smileys when editing?! forgot to use them again......

Last edited:
Ok just re read ** original post and with my new fleeces arriving today i can say that the weatherbeeta is true to size on my arab.

The saxon fleece is true to size on both my arab and tb :D

I have the WB polar fleece in a 6ft9 and whilst it comes up very deep (which I like) it is not too long length wise (chest to tail) for my horse who takes a 6ft9 in every rug. If you were between sizes I would say go for the smaller.

I find the weatherbeeta come up the correct size. My mare is a 5ft6-5ft9 and she has a weatherbeeta polar fleece in 5ft6 and it comes up perfectly.

I have a skinny chested arab and nearly always need a size smaller in fleeces and thin turnouts. Heavier padded rugs he is fine but anything with no filling and unless they are cut small I have to do down a size.

I have had a few fleece rugs and ended up giving them both away as they seem to just stretch and stretch until they are no good....they were a masta and an un-named brand. I would like some fleece for when its not cold enough for a quilt but I need to find some that dont stretch - admittedly my youngster is a membr of rug-wreckers anonymous though!!!!!

newrider.com