Do all mares squirt when they're in season?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Sorry for the crude headline although it's what I want to know! Just wondering if that could be the reason my normal sane mare went off like a bucking bronco yesterday when in proximity to three geldings, one of whom is a bit riggy? She's kept in a field with mares well away from all the geldings usually so maybe the excitement got too much for her?! I don't know what the signs of coming into season might be, other than squirting and mareishness. I haven't seen her squirt but that doesn't mean she's not, I suppose. Actually, she's been super-affectionate this week (other than bucking me off of course!)

No mine don't squirt. Half the time I don't know whether they are in season or not. The only clue is slight tail lifting when groomed.

Interesting - mine has definitely done that. Probably TMI but when I wash her dock and lady bits, she seems to quite like it! (I feel like I am giving away her secrets here!)

Not all squirt. My pony never did and hardly knew if in season :angel: but Jeannie is a whole different story :timebomb: and squirts like mad if a ba d season caused by a gelding if gelded late or riggy :banghead:

Other times when her seasons are settled she is fine and doesnt squirt but can be all lovey dovey :inlove:

My old loan mare didn't squirt, but another mare on the yard does it constantly so I guess that they are all different.

It's funny, my gelding is most certainly not a rig, but he gets very funny around mares. His heart beats faster and he snorts at them!

One of mine squirts a lot, the other not a lot, but they're turned out with geldings so they aren't a novelty.

Squirt, honey mine reverses! :tongue:

Tail up and presents a lovely rein back right into the gelding of choice.

Buffy always seems in season lol!! Her character doesn't change much but she squirts loads LOL!! :giggle: she is turned out with 3 geldings though so guess I can let her off :giggle:

Nope mine doesn't, the only time she's done it is when she first arrived at the yard, she was squirting at the girls too!
TBH the only way I know she's in season is a slight change in her behaviour (gets a bit full of herself) and that she calls to the others when we leave the yard.

Storm has only ever done it the once!!! Apart from that she used to get a bit up close and personal with Joe - she used to wink at him if you know what I mean. Chloe doesn't do it eirher - but they both do a bit of tail lifting and can be extra full of beans!

Interesting - mine has definitely done that. Probably TMI but when I wash her dock and lady bits, she seems to quite like it! (I feel like I am giving away her secrets here!)

Giving away intimate secrets here lol.

Evie likes having her bits washed too. She has an old foaling scar which means she gets quite mucky at the back end so she has to be washed quite regularly.

She will come up to me in the field and present her bottom and look round at me as if to say 'I am feeling all itchy, can you do the honours please':giggle:

She then proceeds to pull faces whilst she is being cleaned. Its like 'oh, er, ah, over a bit, up a bit, ecstasy'. The things we do for them:giggle:

Giving away intimate secrets here lol.

Evie likes having her bits washed too. She has an old foaling scar which means she gets quite mucky at the back end so she has to be washed quite regularly.

She will come up to me in the field and present her bottom and look round at me as if to say 'I am feeling all itchy, can you do the honours please':giggle:

She then proceeds to pull faces whilst she is being cleaned. Its like 'oh, er, ah, over a bit, up a bit, ecstasy'. The things we do for them:giggle:

Ha ha! Yes! I honestly did NOT anticipate this particular aspect of horse ownership!

Reactions: AliciaA
newrider.com