Do horses in riding schools get treated like machines?

*Goldfish*

Oct 31, 2008
What do you reckon? I realise everywhere is different. Maybe you know of (or run) a really good riding school where the horses are put first. It would be nice to hear some good stories, not just bad. Or have you ever been somewhere really awful. Do you think its acceptable for them to be treated like machines?

I went to one truly awful place, didnt stay after a wee shetland mare got booted in the face because the RS owner was having a bad day:eek: And the saddest things is, every year she gets her (YO) visit from local council and passes whatever she needs to pass to run a riding school and off she goes for another year, I think they should do spot checks all RS, Nursing homes etc. Her horses are def treated like machines

on the other side of the coin, I know of a couple of decent riding schools in my area who treat their horses well and not like a machine:D

I only ask because where I used to work they are and it really upsets me. I run around trying to give them all water and pats and polos, but I get told off for doing so. It's not important, aparently, that they have fresh water, or a rug on a cold day, and it doesn't matter if on a hot day if they are left sweating in massive rugs. Makes me want to cry sometimes. Oh and can understand how awful it must of been to see that shetland kicked, I have seen a horse hit with a metal shaving horse because the bosses daughter was having a bad day, and everyone went to comfort the girl, rather than the poor horse! and yes this place is bhs approved. makes me wonder!

Any one is welcome to come and visit ours, I am sure they will greet you with open hoofs and tell you how mean I am to them :D!

However Goldfish I would object if you went around patting and giving polos to mine and changing rugs or tack from your own choice. RS horses work hard when they are working and deserve rest and to be left alone when in their boxes. Tack and rugs are usually carefully chosen, I have some unrugged for particular reasons and would certainly get cross if they were rugged or even worse another horses rug was used on them.

As in life there are often two sides to each story.

Not at my former RS . . . most clients prefer to groom and/or tack up their own horses (not so much the little ones with the ponies) and certainly untack and rug up afterwards. All horses are untacked after each lesson/ride (even if there is another client in an hour or so) and turned out for a while if there is a break between lessons. Most horses and ponies go out at night (weather permitting) and all get a day off during the week. None do more than 2 lessons a day (max) with possibly a slow hack (depending on the lesson workload). The yard is quiet, clean and generally a happy place to be. The grooms are largely made up of young clients and/or working pupils and all love on and give fuss and attention to the horses, regardless of their owners (who are also up regularly). The horses are well-fed and in good condition (possibly slightly too much condition - they like them well covered). Tack is in good condition and well-fitted, both schools have good surfaces and all horses get a "holiday" at some point in the year . . . usually in mid-summer when it's quiet b/c most clients are away. Instructors are patient with clients but tend to stress the welfare of the horses (no banging around on the horse's back, for instance, no nagging with heels, no heavy-handed use of the whip and all riders must mount from a block).

I visited another, large, well-known RS up the road from us last year and was appalled to see one horse used in three lessons back-to-back. Vowed never to ride there.

N

My Joy was on working livery at a RS and I had her on working livery loan for 6 weeks. In that time I was horrified with how the horses were kept - not something I'd expect for any horse. Needless to say I bought her and we moved.

However, in those first 6 months I had a crisis of confidence and returned to lessons at another RS and I would be happy to keep my mare like that, but wouldn't subject her to working livery again as even there she wouldn't suit it.

eml's place sounds fab too. I've been an online fan for a while and would one day love to visit as it sounds just what every RS should be like.

a lot of people/not just those who own RSs treat horses like machines,to them the horse is no different to the tools they use for looking after them.

have been to a few riding schools like that,the worst was a large mainstream RS [was in the RDA group there],havent been there for a few years but have heard off someone recently the YO is still as bad as ever [treats both disabled people and her horses as machines].

but the RS am at now coudl not be far enough from this [millers nook RDA],
the YO won a local pride of britain award last year for all she has done in rescueing neglected and abused horses as well as for her work with disabled people,think most of the horses used for riding are ex rescues and the yard dogs were to,she is one of the nicest people woud ever know with equally humans and horses.
All the regular staff team there are the same as well.

there was one RS which was very bad for the treatment towards horses [ran by a dealer who know one ever saw],though if had wandered into the DIYers livery block first woud have been mistaken to think it's the best place for a horse.

Mine came first, I agree when they are not in lessons they need to chill. IF they got sour they were chucked into the hill and left for a month. No human contact at all, just check through binns every time I went past the window.

Where I first learnt to ride, a small but quite popular and well known riding school, the horses were definately in need of a break and treated awfully. The boxes were disgusting, tack was in very poor condition and the horses themselves could have done with a bit more covering.
The next place I went, strangly was immaculate (the yard and boxes) and grooms and RIs seemed to have a bit of time on there hands, sitting in the office with teas ect, but the horses were always left tacked up in their boxes and used for a number of lessons in a row. If you've got time on your hands surely you'd go round trying to make them comfortable, taking off tack, refilling waters...

Ours were treated like machines to a certain extent - but they had to be - the routine was the same every day except Thursdays (Day off). There had to be a strict routine as it was such a busy and large school it would have been chaos.

Horses were left with tack on, but there was only a 15min change over between lessons (they had girths loosened) so it gave them a chance to drink and pee. Any longer than 15mins and the horse was untacked. Bearing in mind 15mins allowed for the dismount and mount of riders too and to get to the school etc, so realistically there was only 5-10 mins in stable if that.

On the flip side all horses were groomed daily, mucked out daily, fed watered and rugged, all teeth done jabs etc etc, worked a fixed amount of hours a day, so they lived great lives, just very routined and lots of school work.

Titbits werent encouraged as its bad to have nippy ponies around nervous or unknowledgable people - too many children try and touch their mouths!!

Ive been at two riding schools in the past...one very nice & one disgusting

The disgusting one made me sick, i rode there from the age of 6-10 and it was okay from what i can rember...but i went back last year to have a lesson as i had happy memories of it.
I was shocked...i rode a horse i had ridden when i was younger, he used to be so responsive and lovley to ride. But he had been totally ruined, using legs just wouldnt get him anywhere, was constantly stopping & trying to turn in the middle. All the horses were trying to do the same. The instructer just told shouted at the horses and told the riders to 'wack them' with the whips until they went. Poor things were shoved in there stables for 5mins and then anover lesson. Never went back there again.

Another RS i went to (10-16) was brilliant, the horses were treated so well, all of them rode nicley, apart from a couple of stroppy cobs. Was fantastic there, we did competitions, gymkanas,dressage to music the lot :p if anyone used the whip inappropiatly(sp?) they would be took of the pony and given a stern talking to!! Very happy memories of that place :)

The place where I used to ride was a bit scruffy, and the stirrup leathers were never a pair, but the horses were lovely. I always felt that the owner saw them as his partners more than his workers, and if they weren't being asked to do anything in particular (if they were waiting their turn to jump, for example) they liked to get as close to him as possible.

They weren't allowed polos or other treats, though, for good reasons.

I have been visitng ridings schools over the past couple of months so i could keep myself ticking over till i buy my own horse. I have 2 more to visit then i am giving up!

I am very much into welfare and cannot stand to see horses overworked and kept in poor conditions.

Plus i dont wish to pay to ride a dead to the leg horse and have a instrutor that tells me 'yeh the horse his just bored he has done this same lesson 4 times today' errrr....!!

in all my time a riding schools theyv not been nice. horses tierd over worked and some just board to death . i dont beleive in leaveing a head collar on in a stable let alone tack

However Goldfish I would object if you went around patting and giving polos to mine and changing rugs or tack from your own choice.

There is no way in the world I would ever walk into a riding school where I was not employed and start changing things around (apart from maybe the stirrup leathers of the horse I was riding!) This was when I was working there, so I assumed I was payed to care for the horses, in reality my job was to make as much money from the client as possible, and the horses seemed to come last after anything else.

Interesting thread to read as an RS owner

I often wonder what people think of ours.

At this time of year ponies are frequently muddy, I would rather they were out as long as possible than in but then you cannot brush wet mud. all the important areas such as under saddle obviously are dry and clean

I often worry about all the mud around, although we have stoned tracks you cannot reach stables in office workers shoes, parents can however get to school without paddling!!

Ponies frequently wear headcollars in stables. All riders except the most novice are expected to be able to tie up and tack up their own horse/pony and some find it amusing to turn bottoms to doors (Only one however means it and I always tack him up!) A headcollar makes them easier to grab for the less experienced

Horses work an average of 2 hours a day 5 days a week, little ponies may do three or very ocassionally four hours of slow work on a Saturday/Sunday two of which may be consecutive but then have the week off.

Stables are mucked out in the morning and skipped out at the end of the day therefore may look dirty half way through the day. Equally the yard is only brushed daily which with paper bedding leaves quite a mess at times.

However ..tack is safe, ponies and horses are healthy and most importantly happy. I get people complain they can't ride them as they have been taught to kick and pull which mine will rightly ignore. Well trained riders love them.

Treating is forbidden to all staff and pupils alike to avoid ponies getting nippy, it is amazing how many people think this does not apply to them and laugh when rebuked. Equally 'helpers' are not allowed to go round patting or petting horses while resting in their stables but take it on themself to do so when I am not on the yard. I actually caught one (now an ex helper) sitting on a pony in its stable (patting it?):(

Unfortunately, and it has not been mentioned here, we do get a number of riders who would rather just climb onto ready prepared horses and do minimal riding to achieve maximum 'fun'....as I am lucky enough to own the school they do not return but perhaps we need a thread about customers who want to ride horses like machines!

Last edited:
Horses were left with tack on, but there was only a 15min change over between lessons (they had girths loosened) so it gave them a chance to drink and pee. Any longer than 15mins and the horse was untacked. Bearing in mind 15mins allowed for the dismount and mount of riders too and to get to the school etc, so realistically there was only 5-10 mins in stable if that.

On the flip side all horses were groomed daily, mucked out daily, fed watered and rugged, all teeth done jabs etc etc, worked a fixed amount of hours a day, so they lived great lives, just very routined and lots of school work.

They sound very well cared for :)

I worked for 6 months in a horrendous riding school. Horses were brought in early and tacked up whilst eating their breakfast, they would then be left the entire day tied up with tack on and tied short to prevent them laying down with saddles on.
a couple of ponies were classed as fat and were left tied up all day short with no haynet, often they then weren't even ridden.
One day one of the ponies who had cushings and also hada couple of other problems was pouring with sweat and was very wobbly on her feet her temp was very high but we were made to tack her up for the next child before calling a vet after that lesson. :(

I'm glad ot say they were closed down soon after and it is now owned by someone else

newrider.com