Do horses need a job?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Honestly Ale is doing the best I have ever seen him, given his underlying sacroiliac issue, his stifle arthritis and shape change and the arthritis in his front fetlock. He also broke his check ligament in the same front leg around 4 years ago.

He's a good weight, he's moving happily around his field in walk trot and occasional canter, he looks alot looser and more comfortable than he has in a long time. I'm quite happy for the time being to keep him as a field ornament, nothing is set in stone and I'm not saying I will never ride him again but I'm so worried he will break beyond repair which puts me off somewhat I'll be honest.

He seems very happy with life and condition wise seems better than ever, strong hooves, great coat.

Now I'm obviously getting alot of people wondering when I'm going to get him back into work, mainly ridden work. Now I know he's my horse and I can do what I want with him. I'm having a fantastic time with my share horse and so there is no rush to get back on ale and undo it all.

I'm not really sure the point of this thread, I'm not really looking for reassurance, I'm going to go with my gut on this one. But it's nice to talk about this sort of thing and I'm sure others will have different opinions which you are welcome to share. I guess I'm just surprised by people's reactions when I say I'm not in a rush to get back on him, I still love owning him and he's still my best friend and not riding him doesn't change that.

Reactions: orbvalley
I don't think they need a job. I know their are people out there who will completely disagree and say oh my horse would go nuts without doing something they would not be happy in the field. Horses naturally love nothing best than doing nothing but grazing and rummaging about. My wee man is 33 years old and hasn't worked in years and he is happy as larry. I can understand you being in no rush to get Ale back into work. You are enjoying looking after him and spending time with him in the field, grooming etc and to me that is absolutely fine. I have always said if something happened to my Marley and I could never ride him again, as long as he wasn't in pain or suffering I would keep him as a big pet and just love spending time with him.

Each horse has a different personality and whilst I don't think any horse needs a job, there are definitely some who enjoy work.... and those that don't. Jack is "retired" at the mo and seems happy enough about it.

Last edited:
I don't think they need a job, though some prefer to have one :) if he's happy and well I think theres something to be said for not rushing him back to work so his body can not only heal but get stronger to support his newer ailments :)

I don't think they need a job. I know their are people out there who will completely disagree and say oh my horse would go nuts without doing something they would not be happy in the field. Horses naturally love nothing best than doing nothing but grazing and rummaging about. My wee man is 33 years old and hasn't worked in years and he is happy as larry. I can understand you being in no rush to get Ale back into work. You are enjoying looking after him and spending time with him in the field, grooming etc and to me that is absolutely fine. I have always said if something happened to my Marley and I could never ride him again, as long as he wasn't in pain or suffering I would keep him as a big pet and just love spending time with him.

This with fat knobs on!!!!!^^^^

Reactions: joellie
I think it's fine for them to just be loved field ornaments. Maybe some do enjoy working more than others? Guess it's personal and individual. But on the whole I'd say they are pretty lazy creatures. Mine practice their natural flight instincts regularly by rushing back up the yard, I don't think they come to any harm for not being worked. Although with madams weight it was easier when she was burning off more calories! Hehee. @Ale you do what you feel is right with him, and if that means spending time together snuggling, poo picking and just generally being together then so be it.:)

I'm another who doesn't think horses 'need' a job to do, as my RI said this week 'horses have no agenda, they don't come in from the field thinking I must make sure I'm cantered today, or I must make sure she goes jumping with me, it's us who have agenda's not them'.
I guess if all horses were allowed to live out in a herd and roam freely you'd never see a horse who needed work. I'm not saying some don't enjoy their work or that some don't thrive on work, but I don't think they need it.
I think that Belle is thoroughly enjoying her down time, she gets to come in every evening for a hay net while I groom her and generally make a fuss, then she gets to go back to her friends, no work at all apart from a little bit of groundwork and she's loving the lazy life!
If you are happy, which you clearly are and Ale is happy, stuff anyone else and keep on enjoying what you are doing.

I think if a horse has - company, grass, hay, water, space and liberty then they don't "need a job". People that say there's does need one are perhaps talking about horses that are stabled or in tiny paddocks, in which case I'd agree they "need to get out" and if that means working then thats better than nothing for the horse.
In any case @Ale you do what you know is best for Ale and ignore everyone else that thinks he should be ridden, he's got everything he needs for a perfect life:p

I'm going to fall back on one of my standard answers I'm afraid - it depends on the horse!

In your case OP it certainly doesn't sound like Ale needs to work, & you're quite happy with that arrangement too. I wonder how often people who say their horse needs to work would be more accurate if they said they aren't prepared to keep a horse that can't be ridden?

I think it depends on the horse. They don't have to have work. Due to chunkys back problem i can't ride him as much. I have a short ride on him on the flat from time to time. The girls are light enough to be able to ride and the back not swell. I do miss riding him as he is such a saint. But for his welfare its better if i don't ride. However i think if he didn't go out he would be bored. I rode him out most days so in some ways to not go out is like being confined to prison. I was advised to keep him in work to help with keeping the muscles in the back. I'm glad though that i was able to break him to drive. As the back doesn't swell from the driving its nice that i can get to go out with him. I do miss the regular sit on.

I think a horse is happy with grazing, water, shelter and lots of love. They don't need work. I am personally of the view though that I'd prefer my horse to be in work where possible as they are expensive field ornaments. Unless he's old or medically unable to do it, I'd prefer him in work.

Reactions: chunky monkey
I am another who feels horses don't 'need ' a job. Though it's good if they do. I am lucky as well given socs issues he has been a field ornament for a while now and generally I would say he is quite happy. Thank god!

I think Oscar needs a job. He is a busy pony with a very busy brain. He has been bored stiff and grumpy just stuck in a field and seems so much happier now he's back in work. Even physically he has been suffering: coat dull, eyes dull, head down. To start with that was because he was ill but in isolation livery he was fine healthwise - just bored. Now he is working, he is back to his cheeky, bright eyed, curious, 'what can we do NOW mum?' self.

Max and Amber seemed pretty happy with an extended holiday though.

It's interesting everyone's views, I think if I posted this on a different forum I would get alot of different replies!! Every horse is different but he's happy and that makes me happy :D

Some do, most don't. We spent ages finding appropropriate loan homes for our RS ponies when we shut the RS. Some ( those that needed a 'job') went to other handpicked commercial homes, one or two as small childrens first pony 'pets' and a few as companions with light riding. Others stay with us as field ornaments or projects to improve and then rehome to competitive homes. Every one needed a slightly different set up and so far we seem to have got it right!!

Reactions: SeeingSpots
My first horse did need something to do even in retirement. She wasnt a happy field ornament. That was fine because I love leading out.
I have said it before I didn't just get a horse to ride and exercise doesn't just mean being on board. I love the ground work, even if no body around here does it.

Mine does have an agenda. She came in from the field and knew I was having a lesson so was on her best behaviour. She wanted me to spend that paper stuff.
(actually RI said we haven't really got to the bottom of her, she is quirky) @misty avoid those adverts read on lol

Reactions: misty
Noted! I always think 'needs a job' in adverts indicates 'has a lot of energy and can become difficult to handle on ground or ridden if not ridden regularly.' And for that reason i do avoid those adverts. It's not that I wouldn't ride regularly but it's nice to know you wouldn't have to if you were say ill or injured or if, in my line of work, Ofsted shows up. Am I right or miles off? Xxxx

newrider.com