do horses...

lol I would think so, mine do but I guess you would have to say it to them a lot. My old pony used to come by me calling his name so I think they do recognise their names.

Yeah, definitely. They can understand a number of words.... (such as if you call trot whilst on the lunge of or something!)
x

Actually just edited to say; I think they know there name as in I am here I am calling you... But I am not sure if anyone called their name they would look up. Maybe I will test this tomorrow. So I think, they would understand if (I) called their name as in my horse, she always looks at me... If I shout something random, she doesn't but I don't think if anyone called her name she would look. Tricky...

Last edited:
not sure if i whistle mine will look up and none of the others do.

if i shout his name across the field he'll look and none of the others do.:)

they get to know the sound of a packet of jelly babies as well, and when really in tune they know the sound of that particular zip, trust me!:p

I think so. My share horse comes when I call him and I have only been sharing him a few months (mind you he does know that I come armed with carrots :D).

Sort of. If I shout for Beau, no-one else comes. Having said that, though, he won't come for others who call his name so maybe it's my voice. He looks, checks it's really me, then shambles up.

To be honest i think it's just the sound of the word and your voice too.

I think they associate the sound of words with different things.

i.e. good girl when theyve been good, along with a pat.

im terrible at explaining but i know what i mean :eek:

When Arnie is chatting to new friends he prefers to introduce himself as "Big Studs - destroyer of confidence in all humankind":D (he's usually wearing his leotard and cape at that point;))

I agree with eml. I think its a sound that they recognise, but I don't think that Max realises that I mean exclusively him...maybe due to the fact that they're herd animals. I don't think they have such a well-defined sense of 'self' as animals such as dogs.

And a blatent hijacking question (sorry) do any of you with 2 dogs find that the dog that you bought second will respond equally well to either of the two names? We bought Eppie first, Lulu joined her a year later. If you call 'Lulu', you get one dog. Calling 'Eppie' produces both. Lulu will also come back if she's on her own and you shout 'Eppie'. Is Lulu just stoopid?

Think its just voices, for my two at least. They don't even move if someone else calls them by their names, though they may look up if the voice sounds female, where they tend to come over when I call any word out to them in the paddock, names don't really make a difference.

It's not so easy to test if the horse comes TO you when you call.
Try having two in front of you and say 'Neddy... Back' expecting neddy to go back but not Nobby. Say 'Nobby...Back ' and watch Nobby go back, not Neddy.
This does use body language also however since you will naturally look at the horse you want to move.
I think mine know their names. I did call Robs by his race name one day and he perked up a treat, looking around for his next instruction.

And a blatent hijacking question (sorry) do any of you with 2 dogs find that the dog that you bought second will respond equally well to either of the two names? We bought Eppie first, Lulu joined her a year later. If you call 'Lulu', you get one dog. Calling 'Eppie' produces both. Lulu will also come back if she's on her own and you shout 'Eppie'. Is Lulu just stoopid?

I have 4 dogs, they all prick ears up when one of there names is spoken, and watch from the corner of there eyes, just incase the said name is getting something, mind you, if said name gets up, most likely they all will, think this is more about 'if shes getting something, so are we' :p

newrider.com