Do I or dont I ???

Libbylou

Jan 20, 2010
Norfolk and good
I have been talking to a lady who has two dartmores a mother about 10 and her 3 month old foal. The lady is now losing her grazing and has to rehome them.

Ive been thinking about it, but the mother is unbroken cam off the mores a year ago in foal. The lady says they are both very friendly etc, used to children, dogs and cars. She has worn a bridle but not much else

My thought is to have them both over the winter, spend time on the ground with the mother then come spring time look at breaking her in as lead rein pony for the boys.

How realistic is it to break in ? walking out in hand, long reining, lunging with tack etc. Im not in any rush and would make sure all is good on the ground before I start and have untill spring 2011 to read up etc.

OH is moaning say Oh more bloody horses etc, but eldest is up for it and has agreed to help over winter. They will both be out with hay if needed which I have quite a bit of to last LL and 2 little ones.

Good Idea or Bad ???

Well, I love my little Dartmoor pony.

They are generally very nice little ponies, especially temperment wise but like all native ponies can be um, opinionated and a bit stubborn.

I can't see why you couldn't do what you want to do if you have the time etc.

Or little dartmoor is only 3, updates of her ridden work can be seen in my blog/diary. She's not been backed long, but is genuine enough.

Its realistic, if you have the time, grazing and money to invest in two more
Horses:smile:

If the Mare is friendly and sociable then chances are the foal will be as well
and you are half way there.

My two youngsters have been backed this year and tbh the 'backing' was
just another step in a long line of steps and neither took any notice.

Its now I find the hard work really starts with progressing on from that.

One thing I would say hand on heart, if your children don't 'ride' or have a
little more than the basics, its very hard to teach both a newly backed pony
AND the child at the same time. In hindsight (what a wonderful thing) I wish
I had bought a more established Pony to teach my Grandaughter. We are
getting there and she and Bertie will be leadrein for a long time, but had I
bought a Pony already backed and established OR had a Grandaughter that
had mastered the basics of Riding, we would probably have found the whole
procedure a lot easier and progressed more quickly.

We are having great fun, but it IS hard work. Think long and hard because
you will also have the foal to bring on along the line if you keep both. I am not for one minute
saying 'Don't do it' because it is of course doable, lol, however, in reality if these two hadn't been
offered would you have thought of going to get a Pony at this time? Also with a 3 month Foal at
foot you are limited to what you can do with her until that foal is weaned.

I am sure with the price of Hay rocketing etc., there will be many more
Ponies looking for good homes sadly:wink:

Last edited:
If you have the money, time and grazing to support them, then i don't see why not!

The new loan pony we have decided to leave out over winter unless it gets really back because we have found he is responding better (he lived out for 3 years prior to coming to us and was box walking in the stable). It's not ideal as my TB likes her home comforts and will be in over winter with turnout during the day.

If your eldest is keen, please bear in mind he may change his mind when the colder weather comes in.

I originally looked for a Darty for my children but the one i went to see was really nervous, however once the loan pony goes back next year i may look for one that can grow with the kids.

newrider.com