Do not look if squeamish, dog anal abscess

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
On Thursday Ted, our younger dog, was fine. Friday morning he was lethargic, wouldn't eat and was straining to poo without producing anything other than a bit of mucus. I rang the vet and sent them a video of his apparent stomach cramps but they were only seeing life or death emergencies and said to give him paracetamol and ring them the next day if I was still worried. He seemed to be uncomfortable around his back end so I put a (gloved, vaselined) finger up there to check his anal glands. They felt like half grapes and a little bit of gunk came out on the glove but not much.

The next day he was eating a bit but still no poo and uncomfortable in his back end. I had a feel up his back passage again (yesterday's vet suggested it) which felt clear. Rang the vet who was really reassuring, thought it might be a virus and said to put olive oil in his food and if he hadn't pooped by the next day to ring again.

Next day, ie this morning, I got downstairs to a really unhappy dog with a pink bottom and a huge swelling at the base of his tail. I thought he had a tumour but when I prodded it a bit it burst and loads of bloody gunk came out. I enlisted OH's help to hold the head end while I tried to massage it out. Afterwards the dog still wasn't well but managed to squeeze a very small solid poo out. The effort made more stuff come out, which is when I took this pic

Sent it to the vets and this time they let me go and pick up some antibiotics and anti-inflammatories which he started this morning. Apparently anal abscesses are quite common and it will have been brewing for these past few days. Under normal circumstances they would have had him in and lanced it before now but things just aren't normal are they.

Anyway, pleased to report that he is feeling much better, although I am being kept busy cleaning his bum with salt water as it keeps dripping pink fluid. He can't understand why we don't want him to sit on our knee :oops: (he's a percher)

He's tired now and snoring away in his bed. Hopefully tomorrow he'll be feeling more comfortable. Poor love he must have been in so much pain :(

Poor pup, glad he’s feeling more comfortable now though and hopefully the anti bios will see it off completely.

Reactions: Bodshi
Ooo poor lad, abscesses are the worst but they generally feel so much better when they start draining, hopefully it's all up hill from here for him.

Oh bless poor dog!! You are doing a great job by the sound of it. Change of career maybe????!! That’s quite hands on!! Hope he’s lots better soon - he looks a nice chap :)

I remember how uncomfortable beagle Hugo was with one of these. Luckily, vet was able to deal with it before it got that mucky. I hope Ted heals quickly now and be welcome on laps again soon!

Oh that looks nasty - good that it burst on it's own. Lovely boy, with a relieved face

Thanks everyone. Pleased to report he's back to his normal begging and barking self today. Still a fair bit of leakage from the rear end but much more comfortable and not objecting much to my ministrations. I have to admit, although it doesn't look nice, I don't mind a bit of blood and pus bursting, it's very satisfying, especially when it makes that squelchy noise.
I remember how uncomfortable beagle Hugo was with one of these. Luckily, vet was able to deal with it before it got that mucky. I hope Ted heals quickly now and be welcome on laps again soon!
The vet said they're quite common. Apparently his mum had similar a couple of years ago. Poor Ted didn't time it very well with the vets being shut. Did they lance Hugo's or just give antibiotics?

That picture of him sharing the sofa was taken 2 Christmases ago, pre-baboon bum :p We had all the kids and their girlfriend's round and Ted was in seventh heaven. Happy days, hope it's not too long before we have them again.

Reactions: Huggy
I remember when Sasa's shoulder abscess burst and it was like an avalanche of cream cheese, totally gross. poor pup must have been so sore, such a relief for it to burst

• Wow
Did they lance Hugo's or just give antibiotics?

Just antibiotics. We were lucky that the vet’s routine visit to our island was shortly after we noticed something was wrong, so it had not got to the lancing stage. It took a couple of days for him to pick up with the antibiotics, then he was fine.
So glad Ted is getting back on form!

newrider.com