Do we pamper horses too much?

I think we need to be careful of falling into the trap of being too judgemental here, there is a big difference in keeping and managing a grufty native and a sensitive thoroughbred, it's not all in the owner's minds :D

You also have to do what's right for your horses depending on where and how you keep them, my two are absolutely delighted to be able to come in to their warm dry stables to munch haylage all night in winter :)

I like to keep Roxy as natural as possible - she's out naked 24/7 although I will admit sometimes I crumble & bring her in if the weather is particularly grotty (usually wind & rain). But she was out all day & night in the snow & frost this winter.

It does make me chuckle when people rug as the SLIGHTEST hint of rain or teeny puff of wind! What people choose to do is up to them - I don't give my opinion unless asked for (honest!) And I appreciate there are some horses that may need rugging, esp if they're clipped.

But my reply when they ask why don't I rug Roxy, isn't she cold and miserable without a rug.... should farmers rug their cows?

Should somebody be out rugging deer in the woods?

Should the natural ponies roaming the New Forst or Exmoor be rugged?

Should somebody be out putting a teeny tiny coat on all the squirrels and other woodland creatures 'just in case' they're cold?

Errrm... that would be a no then! :p

Yes I think a lot of people do, especially when it comes to putting layer after layer of rugs on them and fussing over them as if they were newborn babies.

My horse isn't pampered in the least and she's very happy.

I think horses are too pampered and fussed over to much these days.

I am guilty of spoiling my boy, although its probably for my own benefit most the time.

Like nice bridles, glitzy browbands,headcollars, nice stable rugs etc
Ive brought 3 saddles in the past year for him, that is for both of our benefits though i guess! although theres me wondering around in £10 trainers which are blistering my feet like hell :cool:
He also gets oranges/apples and carrots in his dindins :rolleyes:

Everyone at my yard nearly had a heartattack when i said i was de-rugging Finnley yesterday, i loved seeing him get all muddy and dirty tho :eek:
I think horses (when possible) should be out in fields 24/7 with other horses just allowed to be horses really. Dont know if this is making sense ??

It annoys me to be honest (dont shoot me :p) when i see horses schooled every single day, and kept in there stables all the time just to look 'pretty' for shows. Not natural at all!

I think we need to be careful of falling into the trap of being too judgemental here, there is a big difference in keeping and managing a grufty native and a sensitive thoroughbred, it's not all in the owner's minds :D

You also have to do what's right for your horses depending on where and how you keep them, my two are absolutely delighted to be able to come in to their warm dry stables to munch haylage all night in winter :)

True enough, I suppose if I had a fine skinned tb/arab/andalusian I too would probably cossett around it in the winter months. It would be a case of needs must I'm sure...

When I win the lottery........................................................:rolleyes:

newrider.com