Do you ever drive yourself nuts?

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
I drive myself mad sometimes, I've been doing a little bit of work with Inca every few days just to get her back in the swing of doing a job.

So far we've been doing some loose schooling and gentle lunging (mainly walk, with some trot, no side reins). When Inca is trotting loose and able to dictate her own direction she goes forward with lovely momentum, really tracks up nicely and uses herself well. However, when she's asked to trot on the lunge she can back off a bit and not really like to use her back end properly (very often because she is more preoccupied with what is going on outside of the school), if I get after her then she just tends to rush and get choppy. We've been working on gradually improving this, so asking her to trot the long side whilst on the lunge cavesson and add in a circle once she's moving with better impulsion, also to vary between a slower trot and a slightly quicker one to get her listening to me.

Where I drive myself nuts is I tend to get too narrow minded and focus on one bit only (at the moment, the trot), time then flies by and whilst Inca isn't puffing she must be getting tired, but I lose all concept of time when I get "over focused" check the time by the time we're finished and we've done 30mins (not all trot and not all on a circle)....I get so angry at myself for letting myself slip into that, it does her no good at all!!!!

So tomorrow will be a little bit of work in walk only and I'm going to set an alarm on my phone to make sure I don't go over a suitable time.

I think when her trot is lacking it is due to a lack of concentration and balance on a circle, I also think fitness plays a big part as well. I don't like doing much on the lunge with her, but feel that a small amount is beneficial to establish balance etc. I just drive myself bonkers when I check the time and realise that I've done far far more than I wanted to!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, in answer to your question, hell yes, but probably more for not doing enough work with my horse rather than doing too much.Can we swap for a while, I think this might be the reason for our weight issues.:redface:

Nope I leave that to other people to do lol :giggle:

Seriously I tend not to as I follow routines and plans for fittening my horses and ignore any impulse to do more as it doesn't work.

I've got three different plans going on for three different horses at the month lol and I'm too knackered to do more :wink:

lol, I think I am the other way.........I am too laid back and don't do enough !

Hopefully with the lighter nights coming that will change.

I have just started bringing jazz into work ready for backing him in spring. He long reins for about 15 mins in the school or up to 40 mins out on an off road hacking route (we regulary walk this inhand!). I do drive myself bonkers obsessing about focousing on things eg stopping his shuffily rubbish trot and moving properly and get annoyed I haven't practiced anything else etc but he's not 3 until April and I feel what I do with him 2x a week is enough. He is never sweaty or puffed out but always warm where the roller has been. But he does resemble a yak!

June I work anything up to 40mins on the lunge but do vary it with her to keep her fit and the muscles in her hip and knee working.

For example the other day we did 15 mins warm up in the school and then someone came in so we went on the grass outside the school and did some transitions for 10 mins then went to the field and gave her a good canter on both reins for another 10 mins on the extra long lunge line, then back to the school for a cool down

She has never yet broken a sweat

i often drive myself nuts!!!!

i lose things all the time at the yard, i put things down and forget where! i get so angry with myself!

with regards to Moet - i just really hate myself when i get frustrated with her as i know shes only playing up because i am asking wrong or she's bored!

newrider.com