Do you get paranoid as you get older?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Question in the title.
Recognising it is the first sign right. I am being a total idiot right now!

Having suffered depression and anxiety from a young age I have suffered with paranoia but I honestly have found the older I get the more comfortable I am in my own skin and the less a give a shit. I now really don't care what people think. I am who I am and I'm happy with my beliefs,morals and choices.
I do understand how hard it is to shake the feeling though it's not easy and our brain really can get away with itself.

I'd say I'm more so. When I was a kid I was too blazè to care about what was happening past the end of my nose. Then in my late teens- early twenties I was braver but more aware, now I poo my pants every time a pipe creaks and concoct a story similar to there's people in the pipes, they're crawling out the radiators and they're going to kill me...

Ok not quite that severe, but I am more anxious and do find myself creating stupid stories in my mind. I've always been terrified of being burgled, as a child I remember being made to read burglar bill and having nightmares for weeks. My main haunt was someone would break in, walk up the stairs and use the loo... Why, I have no idea as the downstairs loo was right next to the front door, and why would someone break in to use the loo! Now I'm older, it's the fact someone's invaded my personal space without consent, and taken my things, or looked thru them. Feeling safe in my house is a massive worry really. Yes I'd say I am more paranoid! :D

Yes and no.

I'm much happier in myself, now I'm in my mid twenties and I care less what people think about me. I was a bit of a 'wild child' in my late teens/early twenties - I look back at some of the situations I was in and think 'Jesus ...!'

Having had my heart broken for the first time in the last 12 months, I'm slightly more cautious about relationship. I'm dating, but I don't want to get too involved at the moment - I'm definitely more paranoid in that respect.

These days, I'm still pretty sociable, outgoing and like having fun, but I guess you have to be more responsible as the stakes are higher. For example: I'm now am very careful about driving after a night out, as I need a car for both life and work. I'm very careful about keeping my private life seperate to my work life - there's nothing on my FB page for example, that could trace me to my profession. Not because I'm a 'sneaky' person or feel I have anything to hide - it's just better to be safe than sorry.

I travel a lot with work and in the wake of the terrorist attacks in recent years, I do feel a little nervous sometimes at the thought of travelling on the undergrounds or by plane - but, I do it none the less. Although, if I can expense a taxi instead of travelling on the tube, I will do!

Having stayed away a lot more with work, being on my own doesn't worry me as it used to - I couldn't even be in the house by myself on an evening, whereas now I'm regularly travelling solo & staying away by myself in sunfamiliar towns and cities being in the house by myself is no big deal.

I guess, I'm more aware of the risks in life then I was when I was younger, but I still try to approach life with the attitude that 'everything will be ok'. Somedays that does seem a lot harder than when I was 18, though!

Reactions: Trewsers
Having taken a huge knock in life about two years ago I have to say yes I have become a little more paranoid. I used to think I was the cats whiskers but have truly had the stuffing knocked from me so yes I guess I am more paranoid now and it does bother me what folk say. Having has some incredibly cruel and untrue things bandied about, about me then yeah I do bother!
I guess I'll get over it, but it will take time.

I don't mean paranoid about what people say about you. I couldn't give a fig about that.
I mean paranoid as in worrying about silly things that you can talk yourself into a true or false type thing.
So example, I had a meeting. Sort of convinced myself it would be bad before I walked in type of thing. Maybe I mean lack confidence?

I don't mean paranoid about what people say about you. I couldn't give a fig about that.
I mean paranoid as in worrying about silly things that you can talk yourself into a true or false type thing.
So example, I had a meeting. Sort of convinced myself it would be bad before I walked in type of thing. Maybe I mean lack confidence?

For me it's the whole thing. Yes, I often convince myself something will be bad even if it turns out it isn't. And yes I guess it is a confidence issue - it isn't the same for you cos you don't care what people think. But I would say it can be linked. I envy those who don't care what other folk think. I used to be one but not any more.

I worry a bit about it, in the context you've said. Job-wise: I'm a relatively young, female in a very man's world and I've been very lucky that my boss has put a lot of time and effort into my development.

I'd be lying if I said I don't get anxious before meetings that I might not get taken seriously or that I'm there in light of being politically correct, gender equality rather than my own merits.

But, I think it's a self fulfilling prophecy - if you tell yourself enough times something, you'll start to believe it and so will others.

A lot of people wrongly assume I'm a naturally very confident person - I'm not, but I am an extravert so I think that helps portray a different image.

I actually had neuro-linguistics programming (NLP) sessions to help regain my confidence with my horse-riding, but for me, it's had a ripple effect and it's hugely helped me in all area's of my life. It's been commented on by people that wouldn't know I've had it and certainly not for something horsey. It's definitely helped me and earlier this year, pre NLP I geniunely felt I'd had the stuffing knocked out of me and felt at an all time low. It was the first time in my life I've ever suffered panic attacks and anxiety.

I also (perhaps wrongly) see a lot of life to some extent as a conscience choice. You can choose to focus on the things you can't do, the things that aren't right or the things that might go wrong. Or you can focus on the things you can do, the things that are right and believe the best outcome.

Of course, other factors come into play too but I use a lot of the NLP stuff as part of my daily routine. It's been tough and quite frankly frightening at times (my own personal favoured approach to dealing with 'stuff' is to brush things under the carpet, not actually deal with things like my own emotions and feelings and pretend everything is fine. Yes, I'm stubborn and quite possibly emotionally stunted when it comes to these things :D ) and it's something I have to work hard on.

Of course, my life isn't a bed of roses but I feel more in control of how I react to things now.

newrider.com