Do you have a horse that only you seem to be able to ride?

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
I have a pony, who is a star under saddle, and with me, a perfect, if not eager gent, in harness.

Okay, he's not an easy pony to drive, he's very sharp and keen to please and get on with the job, but so far only I have driven him.

I thought I'd let someone drive him as she is improving in her driving, thought it'd do her good, progress from the school plod so to speak.

Well, she could get him to do nothing, except back up and plunge into his collar. I took the reins and got the usual keen eager pony but who behaved well and did what I asked. After I had driven him for a while I handed the reins over and things started to escalate again.

So for anyone who thinks driving is just sitting in a cart holding the reins and steering, think again.

well i let my half sister ride bailey and he ran off with her leaving her in tears she swears she will NEVER ride him out on her own ever again..this is the same girl who couldnt give too hoots to take rosey down a really busy road with big wagons thundering past by heself! now rosey is one of those horses who is not very good in traffic and swings her butt all over she nearly has a heart attack if she sees a tractor van ,bus,wagon!i would ride her out- well she was mine- but i certainly wouldnt ride her or bailey who IS BOMBPROOF on the roads she did by myself!!!!!
i tried my son on him(Bailey) on the lunge and he bucked him off
im wondering if he is a one horse person?
my TB i sold has gone to someone who is the only other person who 'gets along with her',she has had lots of riding instructors who have tried her and cant get her to do a thing she either throws them off or runs off with them:rolleyes:

Skye's a bit like this. I don't know whether I have a ridiculously strong seat or if I'm just used to him, but he seems to carry me with him when he spooks, but he'll drop pretty much anybody else flat on the ground when he spooks. And he can't not spook:rolleyes: The couple of other people who can ride him don't enjoy him because he's such hard work, which is fair enough, sometimes I don't enjoy riding him for the same reason, he just doesn't know how to take it easy, and he has a five second attention span!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

My pony hates my sister, she'll take off as soon as my sister gets on. On several occasions has attempted to bite/kick my sister when my sister was in the paddock with her! So far I haven't found anyone who Sparky likes apart from me, apart from my vet (strange, she nickered at him the visit after he'd given Sparks her shots!) and my incredibly novicey friend who I put on. Sparks was brilliant, just plodded around the whole time.....

Jack used to be like that as well, fine with me, and a nutter with everyone else.
With time he learned to handle others ok, but the lady I sold him to say it took about 6 months for him to be calm with her.

Yeah at my RDA center there's an arab who's 25 and a real gent on the ground but the second your on and any faster that a walk he's off where he want's to go so i worked intencly on hi m one hols and got him doing everything and i was completly in control yet i try and get other ppl to ride him and they wont cos they get on him and he gets all hyped up, i try to working him before anyone gets on but i cant be there every day so he dosn't get enough ablebodied people riding him to get ride of that bottled energy which i have to release all the time! lol i love him though so i dont mind doing it!

skittles is a bit like that :D a perfect gent with me he loves his work :) put anyone else on his back and he'll do all he can to dump them! it's like that on the ground too realy he constanly wants hugs and kisses from me and if anyone else gets near him he'll take chunks out of them :p

Wally said:
I have a pony, who is a star under saddle, and with me, a perfect, if not eager gent, in harness.

Okay, he's not an easy pony to drive, he's very sharp and keen to please and get on with the job, but so far only I have driven him.

I thought I'd let someone drive him as she is improving in her driving, thought it'd do her good, progress from the school plod so to speak.

Well, she could get him to do nothing, except back up and plunge into his collar. I took the reins and got the usual keen eager pony but who behaved well and did what I asked. After I had driven him for a while I handed the reins over and things started to escalate again.

So for anyone who thinks driving is just sitting in a cart holding the reins and steering, think again.
Maybe he is tuned into your language. Con is tuned into mine. Ruth is a lovely rider these days but Con won't turn for her, for me she will turn on a tightened bum muscle, never mind legs or reins.

Zola's a bit like that. Because she is always fizzy and fast, you have to be VERY calm and not at all tense, which is difficult for someone on a new horse. VERY experienced people get on her and ride her fine, but if anyone is at all tense, she gets tense and scared. But then the person riding her thinks she is being naughty so they pull her in the mouth which i tell them not to do because shes too sensative in her mouth to cope with pulling!! I get back on her and shes just a bag of nerves!!! :mad: I hate it when people dont listen to what i tell them to do with her :mad: Now i only let my mum, YM, Melia and her OH ride Zola! They are the only capable people (ok, mums on a leadrope now but, meh... :p)

a few people apart from me can ride siog once they are experienced and can relax but Ive seen a few where she just tore off at full speed - thats how I ended up with her she was destined to be a school pony but just took off with the clients - I loved her speed and her jump so I took her on loan. We have another horse that we got years ago and I trained her to do dressage shes been in the school for 10 years now and goes well but only me and one other girl can get her to ride on the bit theres just a knack to her. Used to have a rescue horse and only me and another girl in the yard would ride her she just bucked everyone else off or threw them into fences it was very strange! sadly she had to be pts after a year.

My old Clydie cross ANYONE could get on and ride, but my sisters TB .. well you'd be taking your life in your hands, he dumps her every chance he gets, so she hardly rides any more and if she does she'll only ride at a walk. However if you get a decent rider on him, he's an angel, but he'll test the riders skills out to the max first ! :rolleyes:

Not so much a case of could--more a case of 'would'. Rusty was not everyones cup of tea.

Now RED-ought to be an 'anybodies ride' sort of horse really-but three people have fallen off him and one managed to 'hype him up' into panic mode--so maybe he is not as 'easy' as he seems.

My old pony Spritzer would not walk with ANYONE else on her but me! She would Jog all the time unless i was riding her!

It did take a while for me to learn the technique to get her to walk though!

newrider.com