Do You Have Vet Insurance?

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Just wondered really how many do, how many don't.

I do, along with public liability, but only because I can't afford a huge vets bill. I wouldn't necessarily claim for a couple of hundred, but when it whacks up into the thousands which it seems to really quickly, I would.

I also find it interesting that some equine vets, not mine who does most ops in situ rather than making you bring them in, costing masses more, ask if you have insurance or not. Seems to make a difference to the bill.

I do but often wonder whether or not it's worth it. I pay just short of £50 per month and Raf is excluded for anything to do with bladder/kidneys, colic and respiratory illnesses because the one claim I made was for when he had a bladder infection, which caused colic symptoms and then being run down he caught a cough on the back of it. I shopped around but was told he would be excluded by all the insurers I tried.

I only keep it on because like you I feel the need to be prepared for a huge bill. He's not excluded for any of his legs yet!

I know what you mean - we are excluded for sarcoids.

I suspect this will then cause an issue should melanomas occur - which being a fewspot/grey I guess is inevitable!!

Until this April I had Storm insured but at 18 and given her mystery illness last year it just wasn't worth renewing. They had excluded more or less everything and I can't blame them. Over the years we've made lots of claims and they have been fab. Doubt if I would put her through surgery now anyway.

I do on both but I don't pay that much. Chanter us on an veteran one for 100 a year external injuries only plus third party. Ginger is on a normal one with 5000 vet fees I think but still down as the amount I paid for him 120. As long as he is covered for vet s and third party nit bothered about a return should something bad happen. Plus how do I put a price on his head. To me they are irreplaceable. I did not pay 1000 for him so can I suddenly up his policy to say he us worth more money just so I get a return should the worse happen.

Yep, after £8000 totted up in around 4 months with mystique im too scared to mever have it!! But if my horse had lots of exclusions to be fair i would possibly rethink it.

I am debating what to do with mine - madam is excluded for laminitis, Cushings, anything "systemic" anything to do with her back - which leaves colic, and I wouldn't have her operated on for colic I don't think - she had enough things going on so need to review this

Most definately. Its expensive but I would rather be safe than sorry. Mine run up 2300 after a year. She is insured if she farts!

My vet wont do ops without insurance. It runs into thousands so easily.

No, we have no access to fancy surgery, if colic was a problem I'd PTS. The most expensive thing we do is castrate en masse. Insurance won't cough for that kind of bill.

The vets here have got fancy x-ray equipment now and some scanning gear. We tend to make a judgement on whether a treatment is sensible and pay for it as and when. If we paid fancy vet insurance for every horse we had by then end of one year we'd have spent thousands. Rather not pay it out and use it on a vet bill when one comes up.

newrider.com