Do you lock your tack up?

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
Right now, I am not locking my tack up. My current saddle was not worth much, so I never worried. Small things like the loss of a saddle pad don't really worry me. But if I get a very expensive new saddle, I will worry.

Right now, some people leave their saddles on stands and things - a few people have bought wooden, locking cabinets etc. for their tack (easy enough to break into, but not so easy as taking a saddle off a shelf). The tack room is now so cluttered, I am not even sure if there is room for me to fit in yet another big lockable box. But since others have been allowed to do so, I would think it is only reasonable if my stables gave me the same allowance for space to do so (my saddle will be worth an awful lot and this seems reasonable). The YO had hinted there was no room when I arrived, and I did not push it as I was not that worried. But since then, lots of people have arrived and set up big tack boxes and such.

Any other ideas on how to store my saddle to make sure an expensive saddle stays safe and sound? This stables has never had a theft, but still when dealing with a big-ticket item, I think I need to be careful.

I would think it would only be fair for your stable to allow you the same amount of space given to others.

I know you can get saddle racks that are mounted on the wall and lock up and do not take up too much space. No idea where to buy one though!

I don't lock up my saddle. I actually don't think there is a single person in the barn that locks up their saddle... maybe one... and we have some pretty expensive saddles around the $3000 to $5000 bracket. It actually has never occured to me to lock up my saddle as none of my stuff is locked up and I have always felt so safe with my stuff there.

Last edited:
Hey there

I dont lock my saddles up at all .. actually, we have a car port that runs under the house, and they sit on a bar that runs under there .. so does most of my horse stuff - 2 saddles (one new, one old), bridle pieces, hackamore, bridles, booties, brushes, numnahs, saddle blankets .. etc :p

Mind you, we have had a theft here before, but they broke the window.

I would keep it inside, but a) too much b) too dirty and c) not enough room. lol. If your concerned for your saddle, why not either ask for the room to be locked at night, or take it home?? You could always put it in the corner of the laundry, or in your shed at home?

when i had a tack locker i never locked it. There wasn't really much of a point since the tack room itself got locked and i really knew the people in the area. Now however the woman who owns striker has everything locked, her tack is very spendy and some of it irreplacable. Better safe than sorry probably. i don't think i'd be comfortable at all leaving my tack out in plain sight.

Where I am, most of the boarders keep their tack in the barn, which is not locked. I and a few others got relegated to another small building--it's sort of like a club house, but a bit run down. It does lock, but it would be easy to break in. Tack theft doesn't seem to be common around here, but if I had a very expensive saddle, I think I would keep it at home :rolleyes:

I would also check your homeowners' insurance, or whatever property insurance you might have, to see if that would cover your saddle.

We keep ours at home so locked at night / absent etc - our insurance policy won't cover the tack if it's not stored locked when not in use.

What was a "utility room" for washing machine is now a perma-mud-ridden horse-keeping area, full of tack, hats, and smelly wellies! Oh and the cat drops mice there too...

just a note of caution - please, please don't write down your exact security measures on here. remember that if someone were to look at all your posts it would often be possible to identify yards, from photos, chance comments etc, and anyone can see what is written on here.

How about a saddle lock?

AC_5_76.jpg

This isn't a particularly strong one, but you get some seriously secure saddle racks. All you need is a secure wall to attach them too.

Our yard provides a fully locked tack room which has a security camera pointing at it to I think. We each have our own wooden boxes for other bits and bobs which we have the option of locking with a padlock to.
My old yard had no such facilities and whilst we never had any thefts while I was there, it's nice to know my new saddle is tucked up safely on it's saddle rack every night.

I think it obviously depends on what security facilities your yard offers as to how you keep your tack. At our yard the DIY liveries (including me) each have their own 'lock-up' opposite their stables and it is their responsibility as to whether they lock it up or not. At our yard though virtually all people lock up as with so many liveries there can be sneaky ones and everyone likes their privacy. The full liveries all share tack rooms in the cabin, some dont lock their tack up individually, but the door certainly gets locked up at night.

Also i think whether you use a code or padlock is important because i have a code lock on my door at the moment because my friend is helping me with my horse and i dont have a spare key for her for my padlock. Once a friend knows your code though, it can easily spread - iv had to change my code a few times so people dont continue nicking my sweeping brush etc. Another problem i've got is that there is a way you can twist my lock and get into my tack room without unlocking it (although i wont share it with you) which does worry me, however luckily i dont think many people have worked this out.

If your tack room is firmly locked on a night then i dont see any reason to lock up your own tack further. Depends how worried you are really!

Jenny

Our yard gives us a little walk in cupboard at the back of our stables which are padlocked. They're about three foot wide by 12 foot long, but I keep all my tack and feed bins etc in there. They're not 100% secure, as there is a gap between the top of the wall and the roof, but you'd have to be damn determined and have a big ladder to get up there, plus, you'd never get out again with a saddle! I wouldn't ever leave my stuff unlocked. A few other owners have the key to it, and we have one to theirs, incase we need someone to see to the boys on short notice, and my RI has a key because she exercises Sal for me when I am away.

I've worked at several yards where things (often expensive ad hard to replace or with great sentimental value) have "disappeared" and would be devastated if it happened to me. My favourite schooling whip vanished several months ago, because my dad used it and left it outside the stable, and I've never been able to replace it.

Also, if my tack was left unlocked, my insurance company wouldn't pay up if it were stolen or damaged.

i take my saddles home with me (the study is now the tack room;) ) and i dont think id ever leave it at a yard. i might leave other things like my bridle,but my saddle is worth alot of money and i dont trust other people as i know they wont look after it.

I take all my tack home, bit of a pain to load up the car but at least I know it is safe at home. Have a Robinsons saddle bag nice and padded for the saddle so it doesn't get scratch in transit.

There have been a lot of tack thefts in our area over the last 12 months so don't really want to take any risks.

Also remember to check the security requirements on your horse insurance policy as some are quite strict and probably wont pay out if you haven't complied with the requirements. I think PetPlan for instance, wouldn't pay if you don't keep your tack locked up in a secure room with at least a five-lever mortice lock. If it's just locked up in a room with a padlock you may well lose out financially. Just a thought, in a previous life I worked in insurance claims and know how strict they are over such things, at the end of the day we all moan about insurance companies, but they aren't charities and why should they pay out if we don't read our policies and comply with the requirements.

Sorry lecture over, but please bear it in mind when making a decision as to where and how to secure your tack.:)

Even though none of Kizzy's stuff is valuable by itself, her owner and I keep all her gear securely locked up. It might not seem like a big deal leaving your things unlocked... "oh my bridle/grooming kit/show rug isn't expensive, it would be cheap enough to replace if it did get stolen"... but if you had most or all of your gear stolen by professional thieves (eg. loaded up into the back of a van - this has been done before), even with the unvaluable items it all adds up and would be extremely expensive to replace everything.

I used to never lock up my tack, but have recently started taking it home with me as we have some kids at the yard with a rather Marxist attitude towards personal property.:rolleyes: They don't steal it but sure don't mind borrowing it either.

I never really minded with my Abetta synthetic, although it was a pain to have to always re-lengthen my stirrups. I started taking my bridles home when I kept finding dried horse spit on the bits. I'm kind of fanatic about washing them off after each use.:eek: And I knew I'd have a stroke if I found one of my bridles lying in the dirt in the barn aisle, as often happens with school tack.:eek:

But I've spent so much time getting the leather on my new-to-us english saddle into condition that I'll probably just take it home with me.

If I were you, I'd do the same. Our barn was broken into once during the night and several saddles were taken. I imagine this could happen anywhere, even at a barn where other boarders and students stay out of one's stuff.:rolleyes:

I think i should, my stuff keeps going missing. When i get my nice crosby saddle i will. But then again i will probably keep it at home LOL

Scarlett 001 said:
If one does store at home, there are some nice saddle bags out there to be found. A bit of a nuisance to pack up the saddle each time, but it'd be bad if it got scratched being transported.
http://www.doversaddlery.com/catego...overs & Bags_E__A_bhcd2_E_1145944273_A_c_E_96

I was thinking about buying a saddle bag for my new saddle, but when I mentioned this to my YO she strongly discouraged it. If you have a saddle bag then it will lock in any moisture and the saddle can grow mold. A good quality saddle cover is a much better investment.

newrider.com