Do you prefer horses to people?

I prefer horses too - I hate dealing with people! Harvey doesn't feel the need to use "like" at least once in every sentence and almost always agrees with me :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Horses are a different species and easier to manipulate and control -
But we are social animals and interaction and co-operation with our fellow humans is essential to our survival - and theirs - so tho it is harder, that is a skill that should be nurtured and practised.
They are not alternatives.

You can still have a preference even if they aren't alternatives.

Easier to control is questionable - horses don't fall for internet scams nor are they open to political spinning like people :)
Agreed - if I want to vent to my friends and family, they'll nod politely, even if they don't want to hear it. My old Ramsey will happily listen to me til the cows come home, Hogan tolerates about 2 minutes then completely switches off and wanders away. If a human did that I'd be mortally offended. I might have a modicum of control when riding or leading, but they're allowed to show they're utterly bored by me, if they want.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Trewsers
Horses are a different species and easier to manipulate and control -
But we are social animals and interaction and co-operation with our fellow humans is essential to our survival - and theirs - so tho it is harder, that is a skill that should be nurtured and practised.
They are not alternatives.

That's an interesting take on it. I would say that horses are more accepting and provide me with companionship and comfort. Ben accepts me as I am. I never have to pretend to be someone else. I would much rather spend time with him that almost anyone I know. My kids and husband do come first, but there are very few other people I prefer to spend my time with.

Reactions: Huggy
I am training to be a psychotherapist and part of that process is having my own personal therapy and understanding myself more.

It is apparent that I much prefer spending time with my horse than I do spending time with most people in my life. Is this true for you?

I love spending time with my immediate family (my husband and 2 children), but apart from them, I could happily go for weeks without speaking to anyone else. Does anyone else feel like this?

Yup. Same here. We did some attachment theory training at work and I think it links back to that. I can trust my horses. They don't let me down and they don't make unreasonable demands of me. I know where I stand and can trust them not to lie to me or disappoint me. Sadly people have done both to me and that makes me wary. My horses/animals and my inner circle are the only ones I really want to spend time with!

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com